BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Rising senior Sean Salomons of the men's basketball and volleyball teams has been elected as president of the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) Student-Athlete Advisory Committee for the upcoming 2018-19 season.
"I am so honored to have been elected SAAC president for this upcoming year. I look forward to continuing the great work and building on the foundation that our past presidents Kristen Candelaria and Alec Willis laid for the committee," commented Salomons.
The SAAC Executive Board was selected by a recent general vote. Joining Salomons on the board for a one-year term are Victoria Mahoney (softball) as vice president, Tim Driscoll (men's basketball & volleyball) as treasurer, and Rachel Rocha as secretary. With representatives from all 14 teams, the committee is tasked with being a voice for student-athletes to enhance their overall experience, sharing opinions and voting on NCAA legislation, and ensuring that student-athletes perspectives are taken into account on the campus, conference and national levels.
"I'm excited for the incoming SAAC executive board and look forward to working with the committee to create a sense of community within the student-athletes and enhance the student-athlete experience through community service efforts," remarked Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance and Student-Athlete Services Kayla Koch, who also serves as the SAAC advisor.
Over the past two years, SAAC has made tremendous strides increasing the impact of the Bears in the community and around campus.
Last year, under the leadership of outgoing president Alec Willis '18 and with Salomons serving as vice president, Bears student-athletes doubled their community service involvement over the year prior, spending more than 1,000 hours in service of community groups while raising more than $5,000 for local charities.
SAAC also launched a "Battle of the Bears" competition, involving each of the 14 teams in a year-long competition with teams accruing points for campus involvement, athletic and academic excellence, and community service with the men's basketball team winning the inaugural award.
"This year I want to expand the committee's influence both in the school and in the community by becoming more involved with the other side of campus and doing even more charity work than last year. Last year the club generated a lot of momentum from events such as the Card Party, One Love Workshop, Breast Cancer Walk, and Polar Plunge," concluded Salomons. "This year I want to use this momentum to not only make these events bigger and better but to also have even more events and service on top of that."
2018-19 SAAC Executive Board
- President: Sean Salomons (men's basketball & volleyball, senior)
- Vice President: Victoria Mahoney (softball, senior)
- Treasurer: Tim Driscoll (men's basketball & volleyball, junior)
- Secretary: Rachel Rocha (women's soccer, sophomore)
2017-18 Key Service Projects & Accomplishments
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
- Rockaway Polar Plunge for Special Olympics
- One Love Escalation Workshop
- 3-on-3 Tournaments benefitting earthquake and hurricane victims in Mexico, Puerto Rico, and Taiwan
- "Making Change for Change" Coin Wars
- 'Hoops and Dreams' Basketball Clinic for Ascend Public Charter Schools
- Floor Hockey with Special Olympics of Brooklyn
- Hosted Card Party Fundraiser benefitting Bears athletic teams
Functions of SAAC
- Promote communication between athletics, administration, students, and faculty
- Broadcast information regarding relevant topics in the realm of athletics
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics and academic issues
- Generate student-athlete voice within the athletics program involving all teams
- Organize community service projects
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation for campus committees
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus