BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Coming off serving a term as president of Student Government Association, rising senior Lauren Quesada of the women's basketball and soccer teams has been elected as president of the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) Student-Athlete Advisory Committee for the upcoming academic year.
"I'm very excited to have the opportunity to be the president of SAAC," commented Quesdada "I look forward to using the skills I acquired last year serving as SGA president and applying them to continue the upward growth of SAAC."
The executive board was selected by a recent general vote of SAAC and announced at the year-end athletics awards banquet in May. For the first time in the history of SAAC, the executive board will be comprised of all women. Rising junior Rachel Rocha (women's soccer) was tapped as vice-president and serves her second consecutive year on the board after a stint as secretary last season. Rising junior Deserae Sequeira (women's soccer and basketball) was selected as treasurer and rising senior Gina Hopkins (women's basketball) rounds out the all-female board as Secretary.
"Our new E-board features four student-athletes who are dedicated and passionate about the growth of the SJC Bears student-athlete body throughout our campus and the community," remarked Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance and Student-Athlete Services Kayla Koch, who also serves as the SAAC advisor. "I am excited to work with these student-athletes and support all new initiatives and projects for the year ahead."
Over the past several years, SAAC has continually increased its impact and visibility in the community and around campus spending numerous hours in service of community groups and raising more than $7,000 for charities.
"This year I'd like to continue to cultivate a family-like feel between all teams, continue to shine a light on the mental health of athletes, and to continue to be each other's biggest fans," added Quesada. "After all, 'Once a Bear, Always a Bear!'"
Among the major accomplishments in 2018-19, SAAC continued the "Battle of the Bears" competition—pitting all 13 teams in a year-long contest with teams accruing points for campus involvement, athletic and academic excellence, and community service. SAAC also organized the Bears Fundraising Gala and Midnight Madness.
# # #
2019-20 SAAC Executive Board
- President: Lauren Quesada (women's basketball and soccer, senior)
- Vice President: Rachel Rocha (women's soccer, junior)
- Treasurer: Deserae Sequeira (women's soccer and basketball, junior)
- Secretary: Gina Hopkins (women's basketball, senior)
2018-19 Key Service Projects & Accomplishments
- Meet the Bears Summit (fall welcome)
- Bears Fundraising Gala
- Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk & PurpleStride New Jersey Walk
- Midnight Madness
- Love Yourself Event
- Assisted/volunteered with the blood drive
- St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Thanksgiving food drive
- Captain's Mandate Games
Functions of SAAC
- Promote communication between athletics, administration, students, and faculty
- Broadcast information regarding relevant topics in the realm of athletics
- Provide feedback and insight into athletics and academic issues
- Generate student-athlete voice within the athletics program involving all teams
- Organize community service projects
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation for campus committees
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on campus