BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Seniors Francis Rapp (Baldwin, N.Y./Oceanside) and Connor Pasetti (Oceanside, N.Y./Oceanside) combined for five hits, but the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team dropped an 11-5 loss to Maritime College as the team honored nine from the Class of 2017 on Senior Day. An increasing rain through the end of game one and the senior day celebration forced the postponement of the second game of the scheduled twin bill.
- Final Score: Maritime 11, St. Joseph's 5 (Game 1); Game 2 postponed (Make-up TBA)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Field: American Legion Field
- Records: Maritime (17-10, 9-2), St. Joseph's (12-15, 8-5)
How it Happened
- SJC Starters: Pasetti (RF), Linitz (CF), Rapp (SS), Condon (1B), LoPrinzi (C), Schwartz (3B), A. Camerada (DH), Rehn (2B), M. Camerada (LF), Brigando (P)
- A home run by Matt Costleigh to lead off the game gave the visitors an early 1-0 lead but both teams traded solo runs over the first two innings to remain deadlocked.
- A Francis Rapp single in the first scored Kevin Linitz and Luke Rehn punched a single to right center in the second that tied the game at 2-2 scoring Adam Schwartz who earlier knocked a single.
- Maritime erupted for four runs in the fourth, highlighted by a Brian McLaughlin two-run home run and tacked on three more in the sixth to pad their lead to 9-2.
- St. Joseph's staged a two-out rally in the seventh knocking three-straight hits with two outs and John Condon cut into the deficit with a two-RBI double.
- The Bears threatened again in the eighth loading the bases to bring the tying run into the on-deck circle, but the Bears could only come away with one run and the Privateers added two insurance runs in the ninth.
- The Bears knocked 12 hits in the game, led by Francis Rapp's 3-for-5 effort, with a RBI, run, and a double.
- Connor Pasetti, Kevin Linitz, Adam Schwartz, and Luke Rehn all knocked a pair of hits each. Linitz drove in a run and scored twice, Schwartz scored twice, and Rehn had a RBI.
- John Condon was the leading run producer with a two-run double in the seventh, his lone hit of the game.
- Mitch Brigando suffered his first loss of the season striking out three and allowing nine runs on 10 hits.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears win continue a key weekend in Skyline Conference play facing SUNY College at Old Westbury in a doubleheader starting at noon tomorrow.