BROOKLYN, N.Y. — In their first-ever game at Calvert Vaux Park, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team hosted the City College of New York for a doubleheader on Sunday afternoon. The first game was a back-and-forth battle that saw the Beavers come out on top, and game two held more of the same as the visitors maintained control.
- Final Score (Game 1): City College 10, St. Joseph's 9
- Final Score (Game 2): City College 11, St. Joseph's 4
- Records: City College (6-2), St. Joseph's (0-11)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — Calvert Vaux Park
How It Happened (Game 1)
- CCNY scored before even recording a hit in the top of the first after an error, walk, wild pitch, and balk. An RBI groundout then pushed their lead to 2-0 after a half-inning. Michael Gonzalez and Adam Schwartz kicked off the Bears' first inning with back-to-back singles, then a sac fly and wild pitch evened the score at two after one.
- The visitors' lead stretched to 5-2 after four and a half innings, but SJC exploded four six runs in the bottom half to take the lead behind a three-run homer from Anthony Palermo and two-straight RBI singles from Matthew Trudden and Joseph Langan.
- Four-straight hits to open the top of the sixth turned the tides in CCNY's favor as they tacked on five scores in the final two stanzas to take a close game one.
How It Happened (Game 2)
- Sardar Khanbilvadi launched a two-run shot to extend CCNY's lead to 3-0 after the top of the first. The Bears answered in the bottom of the second with a two-out rally highlighted by a two-run single from Kyle McLaughlin.
- City College notched five runs between the fourth and fifth innings on just two hits as two SJC errors and four walks gave CCNY a lead they wouldn't relinquish. They held the Bears scoreless until a lone run in the bottom of the seventh and they took the second contest behind a 3-for-5 outing from leadoff hitter Cooper York.
For the Bears
- Gonzalez went off for a 4-for-5 line with three runs scored and a double in the leadoff spot of game one.
- Schwartz went 2-for-4 with two runs and a two-bagger of his own in the first contest.
- Trudden was 2-for-6 on the day with two runs and an RBI while Kevin Reyes saw a 1-for-3 performance with a run in game two.
Next Up for the Bears
- A single-game matchup with NJCU at home on Wednesday (Mar. 21) at 3:30 pm with live stats on SJCBears.com.