NEW PALTZ, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team traveled to SUNY New Paltz on Wednesday evening for a single non-conference road contest. The Hawks broke out early and often to take early control, and even though SJC plated multiple runs in the fifth and ninth innings they could not overcome the hosts' offense.
- Final Score: New Paltz 20, St. Joseph's 5
- Records: New Paltz (7-6), St. Joseph's (0-14)
- Location: New Paltz, N.Y. — Loren Campbell Memorial Field
How It Happened
- St. Joseph's advanced a runner to scoring position in the opening inning but failed to score and the Hawks capitalized, scoring seven runs on five hits and an error in the bottom of the first capped off by a two-run single up the middle from Nick DePietro.
- The Bears failed to score for the first three frames while New Paltz kept producing, tacking on two more in the second and one in the third to take a commanding 9-0 lead after three full. SJC found its way into the run column in the fifth as McLaughlin ripped a leadoff double and scored on two-straight wild pitches.
- Two walks and a Reyes double then loaded the bases, and sophomore William DeLuca (Valley Stream, N.Y./V.S. Central) followed with another base-on-balls to make it 9-2 after four and a half. New Paltz bounced right back, however, going off again in the bottom half for six as they would eventually pull away to win by 15.
For the Bears
- McLaughlin finished 2-for-4 with a run scored (2B) and Reyes picked up a 3-for-5 line featuring an RBI and a two-bagger.
- Junior Adam Schwartz (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) went 1-for-4 with two runs scored and a stolen base in the leadoff spot, while freshman Justus Acosta (Little Neck, N.Y./Holy Cross) (1-for-2) totaled two runs and a swiped bag as well.
- Third baseman Anthony Palermo (Patchogue, N.Y./Sachem North) (1-for-4) drove in a run and drew a walk in the three-hole and DeLuca ended up 1-for-3 with an RBI of his own.
- Jonatan Chipoco (Minneapolis, Minn./De La Salle) (1.1 IP) and Matthew Rienzi (Maspeth, N.Y./Xavier) (1 IP) each tossed scoreless relief appearances.
Next Up for the Bears
- A home doubleheader versus league opponent Farmingdale on Friday (Mar. 30) beginning at noon with live stats at SJCBears.com.