BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Powered by a five-run third inning, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team downed the College of New Rochelle, 10-1, in a single non-conference game on Wednesday evening. With the victory, the Bears ended a six-game losing streak and gathered momentum towards four Skyline outings this coming weekend.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 10, New Rochelle 1
- Records: St. Joseph's (3-21), New Rochelle (6-17)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — Calvert Vaux Park
How It Happened
- Freshman right-hander C.J. Bunnicelli (Staten Island, N.Y./Monsignor Farrell) stuck out back-to-back batters as part of a one-two-three top of the first and the Bears capitalized in the bottom half as an Anthony Palermo (Patchogue, N.Y./Sachem North) sac fly and a Michael Gonzalez (Brooklyn, N.Y./Midwood) RBI single had them up 2-0 after one.
- Bunnicelli came up with a big two-out strikeout with runners on second and third in the top of the second to keep the visitors' scoreless, but the same scenario in the top of the third resulted in an SJC error to give the Blue Angels their first run of the game. However, Bunnicelli notched yet another clutch strikeout with the bases loaded to limit the damage to just one run.
- The Bears' offense exploded in their half of the third, scoring five runs on four hits and two New Rochelle errors highlighted by an RBI single up the middle from rookie Michael Ryan (Franklin Square, N.Y./Holy Trinity). SJC went on to put up lone runs in the fourth, sixth, and seventh innings while holding CNR scoreless to cruise to their third triumph of 2018.
For the Bears
- Leadoff hitter Adam Schwartz (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) picked up three hits on the day (3-for-4) scoring three runs and stealing three bases.
- Gonzalez and sophomore Kevin Reyes (Bronx, N.Y./AECI) each notched two hits, two runs, and an RBI.
- Bunnicelli earned his first collegiate win going six strong innings while allowing just four hits and one run (unearned) on top of eight strikeouts.
Next Up for the Bears
- A return to Skyline play with a road doubleheader at Maritime on Saturday (Apr. 14) beginning at 12:30 p.m. with live stats streaming on SJCBears.com.