THROGGS NECK, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) baseball team took their talents upstate on Saturday afternoon to challenge SUNY Maritime College in a Skyline Conference doubleheader. Despite out-hitting Maritime in game one, the Bears fell by a final score of 5-1. The hosts' bats then caught fire in the second contest, scoring 10 runs on 10 hits as they ran away to a seven-run victory.
- Final Score (Game 1): Maritime 5, St. Joseph's 1
- Final Score (Game 2): Maritime 10, St. Joseph's 3
- Records: Maritime (17-9, 6-4 Skyline), St. Joseph's (3-23, 1-9 Skyline)
- Location: Throggs Neck, N.Y. — Reinhart Field
How It Happened (Game 1)
- SJC starter Daniel Egan (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central) fanned the first batter he saw in the bottom of the first, but two-straight singles followed by a two-run triple from Phil Russo opened the scoring and put the Privateers up 2-0.
- The next batter drove Russo in to give Maritime a 3-0 advantage after one. Egan induced a fly-out to escape a bases-loaded jam in the bottom of the fourth keeping the score at 3-0 as both pitchers found their groove in the middle innings.
- The Bears got on the board in the top of the sixth, as their first three batters reached and freshman Michael Ryan (Franklin Square, N.Y./Holy Trinity) drove a single through the right side for an RBI cutting the deficit to two (3-1). A Stephen Semier two-run shot in the bottom half was the only other scoring for the rest of the game, giving Maritime their fifth Skyline win.
How It Happened (Game 2)
- Matt Costleigh drove a solo homer in the bottom of the first to once again open the scoring early. The Bears immediately answered in their half of the second, as RBI singles from Matthew Trudden (Broad Channel, N.Y./Christ the King), Justus Acosta (Little Neck, N.Y./Holy Cross), and Kevin Reyes (Bronx, N.Y./AECI) had them ahead 3-1 after an inning and a half.
- Semier stayed hot, belting his second long-ball of the day, a two-run shot, in the bottom of the second to tie things up at three. The Privateers continued to show off their power, as solo shots from Travis Zurita and Costleigh (second of game) in the bottom of the third gave Maritime a 5-3 lead after three.
- Shane Sullivan picked up an RBI single in the bottom of the fourth, and Russo drove in a run on a groundout in their half of the fifth the Privateers extended their lead to 7-3 after five. Sullivan knocked a two-run bomb in the sixth as well and Maritime held SJC scoreless cruising to a 10-3 triumph.
For the Bears
- Junior third baseman Anthony Palermo (Patchogue, N.Y./Sachem North) went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base in game one.
- Ryan finished game one 2-for-3 (RBI) and followed it up with a 1-for-3 line in game two, while sophomore William DeLuca (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central) doubled in game one (1-for-4) and then went 1-for-3 with a run in the latter outing.
- Rookie Kyle McLaughlin (Port Jefferson Station, N.Y./Comsewogue) picked up two hits on the day with a run scored, and Paul Pellegrino (Brooklyn, N.Y./Midwood) contributed a base knock in a pinch-hit appearance.
- Egan fell to 0-5 with the loss in game one despite going the distance (8 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 4 K) and rookie Michael Bode (Ozone Park, N.Y./Cathedral Prep) tossed a scoreless inning of relief in game two.
Next Up for the Bears