HARTFORD, Conn. — In the opening round of their own holiday tournament, Trinity College defeated the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's basketball team on Saturday evening in a one-sided affair. Eleven different Bears scored in the loss as they now prepare for the consolation game Sunday at noon.
- Final Score: Trinity 80, St. Joseph's 50
- Records: Trinity (7-2), St. Joseph's (5-6)
- Location: Hartford, Conn. — Oosting Gymnasium
- SJC Starters: Willis (G), Sirakis (G), Etheart (F), Etheart (F), Meiner (F)
- Two free-throws capped a 16-2 Trinity run in the first half (6:09) to give them control 32-15.
How It Happened
- The Bears kept pace with the hosts for a good stretch to open play, as a Kavan Meiner (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) finish narrowed their gap to three, 12-9. However, 10-straight Bantam points as apart of their 16-2 run gave them a firm grip on the game late in the first.
- Sophomore Dimitri Sirakis (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) buried a three (3:36) bringing the Bears within 11, but Trinity would refuse to fold any further. Kyle Padmore's eight points at intermission led the Bantams and they held a 43-27 halftime advantage.
- Over the first seven minutes of the second Trinity ran away to a 14-2 run furthering their lead to 57-29 after two Nick Seretta freebies. SJC's deficit would eventually swell to 32 as the would go on to fall 80-50 and dip back below .500.
For the Bears
- Sirakis led the Bears with nine points in a cold offensive night for the entire team.
- Meiner was second on the squad with eight points as well as five caroms.
- Sophomore forward Stephane Etheart (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) picked up a game-high 10 boards to go with five in the scoring column.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Sean Salomons (Staten Island, N.Y./St. Peter's) led a St. Joseph's bench that totaled 19 points with six of his own (four rebounds).
The Bear Facts
- The Bears hadn't faced Trinity since their 2013-14 season opener, in which the Bantams won by one (63-62) on a late-second layup.
Next Up for the Bears
- Day two of the Trinity College Holiday Invitational tomorrow (Dec. 31), with the consolation game at noon. Live stats streaming at SJCBears.com.