PURCHASE, N.Y. — In their first action of 2018, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's basketball team traveled to Purchase College for a Skyline Conference showdown on Wednesday. Sophomore scoring leader Dimitri Sirakis (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) paced the Bears with 16 points, but they dropped their league record to 4-4 with a tough 20+ point loss.
- Final Score: Purchase 86, St. Joseph's 60
- Records: Purchase (7-2, 4-1), St. Joseph's (5-8, 4-4)
- Location: Purchase, N.Y.
- SJC Starters: Sirakis (G), McQuillen (G), Etheart (F), Etheart (F), Meiner (F)
- Nikeem Deleon hit a three-pointer at 7:28 in the second half to cap a 10-2 Purchase run that essentially put the game away.
How It Happened
- The Bears hung with Purchase for much of the first half as a Sebastien Etheart (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) finish brought them within eight (21-13) after 12 minutes of play.
- Purchase led by as much as 14 in the first half, but the Bears were able to climb back and kept the score close at 39-31 heading into the break, largely thanks to eight points from Sirakis.
- SJC refused to let the hosts take complete control for much of the second, as a pair of free throws from junior Aaron Parra (Brooklyn, N.Y./Msngr. McClancy) lowered the deficit back to single digits at 56-47 (11:42).
- PC's 10-2 run gave them a convincing 66-49 advantage that they would never relinquish and they improved to 7-2 on the season behind 41 combined points from Deleon and Deshawn Cann.
For the Bears
- Sirakis dropped a team-high 16 points (4-12, 2-3, 6-6) as well as two helpers.
- Sophomore forward Stephane Etheart (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) contributed 11 points (5-12) while adding four boards, a block, and a steal.
- Se. Etheart played an all-around game scoring seven points, grabbing six rebounds, and also putting up two assists and two steals.
Inside the Box Score
- Parra was a bright spot among the reserves scoring 10 of the Bears' 16 bench points on top of five caroms.
- Free throw troubles haunted SJC tonight with them converting just 14 of their 22 attempts.
The Bear Facts
- The Bears have now lost five-straight games to Purchase and sit 5-9 against them all-time.
Next Up for the Bears
- The latter half of a Hill Center doubleheader battling sister-school SJC Long Island on Saturday (Jan. 6) at 4 pm. Live stats and video available at SJCBears.com.