FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — First-place Farmingdale State used a 70 percent shooting effort in the first half to race out to an early lead and earned season split with the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's basketball team with a 90-69 victory on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore Stephane Etheart (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) led SJC with 16 points as the Bears were eliminated from playoff contention with the loss.
- Final Score: Farmingdale State 90, St. Joseph's 69
- Records: Farmingdale State (16-7, 14-4), St. Joseph's (8-15, 7-11)
- Location: Farmingdale, N.Y. — Walter A. Lynch Sports Center
- SJC Starters: Willis (G), Sirakis (G), Etheart (F), Etheart (F), Meiner (F)
- A five-minute field goal drought in the first half allowed the Rams to build a 29-15 lead and the deficit remained in double digits the rest of the way.
How It Happened
- Stephane Etheart (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) scored the first two baskets of the contest to give the Bears an early lead before the Rams responded with seven straight points and never trailed again.
- Another Etheart jumper gave him eight of SJC's first 10 points, cutting the deficit to 13-10 at the 14:12 mark. But Farmingdale pulled away as the Bears were hampered by just 25 percent shooting (9-36) in the opening 20, while the Rams connected on a blistering 70 percent (19-27) to build a 50-24 lead at the break.
- St. Joseph's outscored Farmingdale 45-40 in the second stanza led by Aaron Parra's ( / Monsignor McClancy) 11 points in the frame but the Rams led by as many as 35 before cutting into final deficit.
For the Bears
- Etheart paced the Bears with 16 points and six boards, both team highs.
- Parra add 13 points off the bench on 6-of-11 shooting, also securing a pair of caroms.
- Freshman Zach MacDonnell (Howard Beach, N.Y./Archbishop Molloy) scored a career-high nine points in five minutes going 3-for-3 from the field and swiping two steals.
- Dimitri Sirakis (Hollis, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) netted eight points with a pair of dimes.
Inside the Box Score
- The Rams finished at a 55 percent connect rate (33-60) hitting on 10 triples.
- The Bears collected 16 offensive rebounds to outscore the Rams, 15-6, in second-chance scoring. Both teams finished even 40-40 in the rebounding battle.
The Bear Facts
- With the loss and the results around the league, the Bears are eliminated from Skyline Conference Championships contention for the second straight season.
- St. Joseph's has already yielded a six-win improvement over last year's 1-15 campaign with two home games left on the schedule.
Next Up for the Bears
- The Bears close out the season with a pair of home games next week. First up, a matchup against Old Westbury on Tuesday (Feb. 13) tipping off at 7 p.m. with live stats and video available on SJCBears.com.