BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Vying for their first conference victory, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's soccer team hosted Purchase State College on Tuesday night. A beauty of a free kick from freshman Kenneth Garcia (Elmhurst, N.Y./Bayside) landed him his team-leading third goal of the year, but it wasn't enough as the Bears fell 2-1, surrendering a goal off a set piece in the waning seconds of regulation.
- Final Score: Purchase 2, St. Joseph's 1
- Records: Purchase (6-5-1, 3-0-1), St. Joseph's (0-8-1, 0-4)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — Aviator Field
How It Happened
- The Panthers opened up the scoring early (11'), as the SJC keeper aggressively came out of the net and Kayode Tyler dribbled around him for an easy tap-in and a 1-0 Purchase advantage. Despite allowing the goal, the Bears outshot Purchase 8-4 in the first. However, at intermission the visitors held a 1-0 lead.
- Garcia answered shortly after the break, setting up for a free kick in the 54th minute and subsequently rifling it into the upper right-hand corner of the net to even the game at 1-1.
- Freshman Alejandro Oliveros (Brooklyn, N.Y./Grover Cleveland) tallied all four of his saves on the night in the second half, including an athletic, sliding save off of a one-on-one shot to preserve the gridlock.
- With the game looking destined for overtime, Anthony Iurillo set up for a Purchase free kick from 30 yards, which he would bang off of the right post. Rob Cal was in position for the rebound and go-ahead goal, as he tapped the ball in with 13 seconds on the clock for a 2-1 Panther victory.
For the Bears
- Garcia totaled four shots for the game, with his only shot on goal coming on the free kick score.
- Oliveros saved four of the six shots he saw on goal, as he started in place of injured Julian Rodriguez (Whitestone, N.Y./Bayside).
The Bear Facts
- The Bears are now 1-3 all-time against Purchase State.
Next Up for the Bears
- A matinee against Maritime, taking on the Privateers at noon on Saturday (Oct. 7) in Throggs Neck. Live stats will be available at SJCBears.com.