THROGGS NECK, N.Y. — Junior Matthias Spiegel (Wedel, Germany/Clovis) and sophomore Daniel Goncalves (Astoria, N.Y./Cathedral Prep) netted their first goals of 2017 on Saturday, but the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's soccer team came up short on the road against Maritime College, 4-2.
- Final Score: Maritime 4, St. Joseph's 2
- Records: Maritime (10-2-1, 4-1), St. Joseph's (0-9-1, 0-5)
- Location: Throggs Neck, N.Y. — Reinhart Field
How It Happened
- Scoring would not occur until the 34th minute, as Maritime's Nicholas Ciacca crossed the ball to the far post, received the pass back from Phil Hetzer, and finished it off for a 1-0 lead. Hetzer continued to set up his teammates, and fired a pass five minutes later into the box that was found by Parker Gallt and tapped in for a 2-0 Privateer advantage.
- The intermission was kind to the home team, with a 53rd minute Maritime cross ending in an Anthony Palazzolo header goal and a 3-0 score. Goncalves would get the Bears on the board soon after, taking a pass from sophomore Miles Barron (Washington, D.C./Parkmont School) upfield in stride and knocking it in, narrowing the deficit to two.
- Late in the game it became a back-and-forth affair. Another Maritime goal in the 72nd minute stretched their lead out to three. Then, with three minutes left on the clock, Barron lined up for an SJC corner kick, which Spiegel found with a header for the Bears' second tally. However, it wasn't enough as the Privateers took it 4-2.
For the Bears
- Spiegel scored on his only shot fired, while Goncalves took two on the night to notch his goal.
- Barron assisted on both of the visitors' netters.
- The Bears' leading scorer, freshman Kenneth Garcia (Elmhurst, N.Y./Bayside), led the team in shots with 8, (four on goal).
The Bear Facts
- Maritime came in at third in the Skyline men's soccer preseason coaches poll.
- St. Joseph's is now 0-3 all-time versus the Privateers.
Next Up for the Bears
- A return to non-conference play with a game against Medgar Evers College on Monday (Oct. 9). Kick-off is set for 5 p.m. at Aviator Field with live video available at SJCBears.com.