BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Coming off their first win of the season, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's soccer team held St. Joseph's College (Long Island) to a scoreless draw after 45 minutes, but the Golden Eagles scored two quick second-half goals for a 2-0 win to remain unbeaten in Skyline Conference play on Wednesday.
- Final Score: SJC Island 2, SJC Brooklyn 0
- Records: SJC Long Island (5-5-1, 5-0-1), SJC Brooklyn (1-10-1, 0-6)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — Aviator Field
How It Happened
- The Golden Eagles had a 6-4 edge in shots but the Bears had a 3-1 edge in corners over the opening stanza with neither team gaining a strong scoring opportunity and both goalies making one save to preserve the deadlock.
- With a steady rain picking up after the intermission and the Golden Eagles shooting with of the wind, momentum slowly shifted in the visitor's favor. Long Island broke through less than 10 minutes into the new period when Ruiz Rayneri finished a ball into the box off a corner kick and struck again less than four minutes later for the game's lone tallies.
For the Bears
- Kenneth Garcia (Elmhurst, N.Y.) fired off three shots to lead the attack.
- Cesar Oviedo (South Ozone Park, N.Y./Christ the King) and Daniel Goncalves (Astoria, N.Y./Cathedral Prep) also recorded shots on goal.
- Freshman Alejandro Oliveros (Brooklyn, N.Y./Grover Cleveland) made five saves in goal.
The Bear Facts
- The two-goal loss is the closest meeting in the all-time series with Long Island taking all four encounters.
Next Up for the Bears
- The Bears wrap up their non-conference slate with a road matchup against Baruch College on Friday (Oct. 13) in Randall's Island starting at 6 p.m.