BRONX, N.Y. — Junior Matthew Smith (Brooklyn, N.Y./Monsignor McClancy) and senior Carlos Mayorga (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) both notched a pair of victories, but it wasn't enough for the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's tennis team to silence the Lehman College Lightning as they dropped a 6-3 non-conference decision on Wednesday afternoon.
- Final Score: Lehman 6, St. Joseph's 3
- Records: Lehman (3-8), St. Joseph's (1-5)
- Location: Bronx, N.Y.
- Courts: Lehman College Tennis Courts
How It Happened
- Matthew Smith and Carlos Mayorga teamed up at No. 3 doubles and took a convincing 8-1 victory over Christopher Valez and Olando Minott for the only Bears point of the session.
- Moving into singles, Smith grinded out a 7-5, 7-5 victory over Valez in the No. 5 position, while Mayorga cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 triumph over Adriel Grant in the No. 6 slot.
- Senior Nolan Parr grabbed six games off his opponent at No. 4 singles in a 6-3, 6-3 defeat.
The Bear Facts
- Smith and Mayorga move to 2-2 playing together in doubles.
- Smith collects his first singles win of the season, while Mayorga notches his team-leading third win of the season moving his record to a level .500.
- Lehman remains undefeated in the all-time series collecting the eighth meeting between the squads.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return to Skyline Conference action heading to Albany, N.Y. to face the Sage Colleges on Saturday, April 16th for a 1 p.m. match.