PURCHASE, N.Y. — Senior Carlos Mayorga (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) notched the lone point for the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's tennis team as they wrapped up their inaugural Skyline Conference season with a 8-1 loss to Purchase College Saturday afternoon.
- Final Score: Purchase 8, St. Joseph's 1
- Records: Purchase (9-7, 4-3 Skyline), St. Joseph's (2-9, 1-5 Skyline)
- Date: April 30, 2016
- Location: Purchase, N.Y.
- Courts: Purchase College Tennis Courts
How It Happened
- Kyle Johnson and Nolan Parr took four games at No. 2 doubles in an 8-4 loss, but Purchase swept the doubles session winning the other two matches at love.
- The Panthers clinched the final spot in the Skyline Conference Championships winning the next four singles matches in straight sets before Carlos Mayorga and Alec Smalley both forced super-tiebreaker third sets after dropping their opening sets.
- Mayorga outlasted Noah Marthaller 11-9 in the super-tiebreaker at No. 4 singles to win 6-7, 6-1, 11-9 for his team-leading sixth win of the season.
- Smalley was edged out 11-9 in his super-tiebreaker at No. 6 singles falling in a very tightly contested match 7-5, 5-7, 11-9.
The Bear Facts
- Mayorga finishes his senior season with a team-leading 6-6 singles record. He leaves his mark tied for fourth in the Bears single-season record book for single wins and tied for third in singles winning percentage (.500). With a 10-15 career singles record he wraps up his career third career winning percentage and fifth in victories.
- Nolan Parr ends his career one shy of the all-time singles wins record in second place and also ranks second in career singles winning percentage with a 16-23 mark (.410).