FARMINGDALE, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) pushed Farmingdale State College to a third-and-deciding set in four of six singles matches, but fell on the wrong end of an 8-1 decision in Skyline Conference action on Sunday in their season finale.
With the loss, the Bears wrap up the season at 2-10 and in eighth place in conference play.
- Final Score: Farmingdale State 8, St. Joseph's 1
- Records: Farmingdale State (8-9, 4-4 Skyline), St. Joseph's (2-10, 1-7 Skyline)
- Location: Farmingdale, N.Y.
- Courts: FSC Tennis Courts
- Denise Trerotola and Matthew Smith teamed up for an 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles as Farmingdale took a 2-1 lead after doubles play completed.
- The Bears then threatened a comeback in singles as Shivam Ghai, Matthew Smith and Alec Smalley all won the opening set of their singles matches in the No. 1, 3 and 4 positions respectively, but the Rams came back to take the second set—Ghai and Smith edged out by a break in set two.
- After dropping her opening set, Trerotola battled back to take set two by a break, but fell in the third set, seeing her four-match streak at No. 5 singles halted 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
- Despite the strong showing, Ghai was edged out at the top of the lineup 2-6, 7-5, 7-5, Smith fell 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 and Smalley dropped a 6-7 (5), 6-0, 6-4 decision.