BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The inaugural Clinton Hill Classic came to a close on Sunday morning with the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) men's volleyball team falling in a pair of straight-set defeats to John Jay College and City College of New York. Junior Thomas Ambrosino (Staten Island, N.Y./New Dorp) slammed six kills to pace the offense while Alec Smalley brought up 10 digs to lead the defense.
- Final Score: John Jay def. St. Joseph's 3-0; CCNY def. St. Joseph's, 3-0
- Set Scores vs. John Jay: 25-8, 25-12, 25-15
- Set Scores vs. CCNY: 25-11, 25-10, 25-12
- Records: John Jay (3-1), CCNY (2-1), St. Joseph's (0-5)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arena: The Hill Center
How It Happened vs. John Jay
- The Bears gained their first leads of the tournament in the first and third sets. St. Joseph's remained tied at 9-all in a third set that the Bears forced six ties and three lead changes.
- The Bloodhounds had nine players combined for 25 kills and they hit .296 as a team and totaled 21 aces.
- Thomas Ambrosino was the only Bear to land multiple kills pounding a pair and Mark Antoun and Alec Smalley added a kill each. Smalley also paced the defense with six digs.
How It Happened vs. CCNY
- The Bears saw their best attacking match of the weekend combining for nine kills with Thomas Ambrosino and Alec Smalley slamming four kills each. Angelo Goutzinopoulous also put away a kill and Ambrosino anchored the defense with five digs while Andre Williams also stuffed a solo block.
- St. Joseph's took the early lead in the first but the visitors, led by Sebastjano Aga's 10 kills had 24 in total and served up as many aces for the win.
Next Up for the Bears
- The Bears have nearly two weeks off to regroup returning to action on Saturday, February 4th against for a tri-match at Hunter College starting at 10 a.m. with the Bears also facing Arcadia College.