NEW ROCHELLE, N.Y. — Sophomore Destiny Marino (Howard Beach, N.Y./Christ the King) became the second Lady Bear in program history to hit for the cycle and classmate Jamilynn McGowan (Staten Island, N.Y./Michael J. Petrides) struck out 11 in a complete game one-hitter as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team plated 34 runs over a doubleheader sweep of former Hudson Valley rivals The College of New Rochelle on Thursday evening.
- Final Score (Game 1): St. Joseph's 18, New Rochelle 1 (5 innings)
- Final Score (Game 2): St. Joseph's 16, New Rochelle 0 (5 innings)
- Records: St. Joseph's (3-7), New Rochelle (0-4)
- Date: March 31, 2016
- Location: New Rochelle, N.Y.
- Field: Flowers Park
- St. Joseph's Lineup (Game 1): Simon (SS), Eddy (C), Ferrigno (3B), Rossi (RF), Armano (P), Gentile (1B), Marino (CF), Quintana (2B), Rancel (LF)
- St. Joseph's Lineup (Game 2): Simon (SS), Eddy (C), Ferrigno (3B), Rossi (RF), Marino (CF), Gentile (1B), Rancel (LF), Quintana (C), McGowan (P)
How it Happened in Game 1
- Two batters into the contest, Erica Eddy highlighted the two-run first with her first of two home runs on the evening.
- Destiny Marino led off the second with a solo shot and the Lady Bears broke open the game with nine runs on eight hits, taking advantage of three Blue Angel miscues. Eddy's single help bring in two more and Marino knocked a single later in the frame to achieve half the cycle.
- St. Joseph's tacked on five more runs in the third to take a commanding 16-0 lead. After back-to-back CNR miscues, Marino knocked a two-run triple and Eddy later capped a four-RBI effort with a two-out single.
- In the fourth, Marino completed the cycle with a two-out double and Jamilynn McGowan followed with a triple that pushed two more across to finish the SJC scoring.
- Nia Garcia spoiled the shutout bid in the bottom of the fourth with a solo blast to open the frame, but Theresa Armano cemented her second win of the season in the circle with a six-strikeout, three-hit effort over five innings.
How it Happened in Game 2
- St. Joseph's manufactured a run in the first with two outs after Kristin Ferrigno walked and Rossi followed with a triple.
- For the second straight game, the Lady Bears posted nine runs again in the second, without a recorded hit and making the most of five CNR errors in the frame.
- Eddy's solo blast to lead off the third highlighted a two-run inning and St. Joseph's held a 12-0 lead after through three.
- Lyndsey Edwards knocked a two-out double in the home half of the third to spoil the no-hit bid, but that would be the lone hit for the Blue Angels as Jamilynn McGowan fired her third career one-hitter, striking out a career-high 11.
- St. Joseph's added four more runs in the fifth, knocking five hits highlighted by a Nicole Quintana producing a run-scoring double. Later in the frame, freshman Ania Smith knocked her first collegiate hit with a two-out RBI single that capped the scoring.
For the Lady Bears
- Erica Eddy finished the evening with a team-high five hits (5-for-9) also driving in six runs, scoring three times and launching her first two career home runs.
- After hitting for the cycle, Destiny Marino went 4-for-6 with three RBI and five runs scored.
- Nicole Quintana (3-for-5, 3 RBI, 3 R) and Samantha Simon (3-for-8, 2 RBI, 3 R) knocked three hits each.
- Jamilynn McGowan and Stephanie Rancel both drove in four runs over the twinbill, with Rancel scoring five times.
- Theresa Armano (6 K, 3 H, 2 BB, 1 ER) and Jamilynn McGowan (11 K, 1 H, 2 BB, 0 ER) both earned wins in the circle with complete-game victories.
For the Blue Angels
- Lyndsey Edwards led the hosts with a 2-for-4 night at the dish, both doubles.
- Nia Garcia homered in game one for the lone run on the night for CNR.
Inside the Box Scores
- The Lady Bears knocked 25 hits over the twinbill and took advantage of 16 CNR miscues that caused 21 of the 34 runs to score unearned.
The Lady Bear Facts
- Former Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference rivals, the Lady Bears have faced New Rochelle more times than another other team in program history meeting for the 35th and 36th time tonight and unbeaten in the all-time series.
- Two of McGowan's three career one-hitters have come against the Blue Angels.
- The only other Lady Bear to hit for the cycle was Jillian Troise '12 in the Hudson Valley Tournament semifinals vs. Sarah Lawrence on May 5, 2012.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
Riding their first doubleheader sweep and a three-game winning streak, St. Joseph's resumes Skyline Conference play with a pair of home league twinbills this weekend. The Lady Bears host Mount Saint Mary College on Saturday followed by Purchase College on Sunday. Both doubleheaders start at 12 p.m. at Padavan-Preller Field.