VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Freshman Paige Csikortos (Rocky Point, N.Y./Rocky Point) launched her first collegiate home run and junior Destiny Marino (Howard Beach, N.Y./Christ the King) scored on a wild pitch in the sixth inning to give the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team a 3-2 victory over Eastern University in their final game of the 2017 Beach Blast Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
The Bears suffered a 3-0 setback to Rochester Institute of Technology earlier in the day for their only loss of the tournament and return home from Virginia Beach with a 4-2 mark overall.
- Final Score: RIT def. St. Joseph's, 3-0; St. Joseph's def. Eastern, 3-2
- Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
- Field: Princess Anne Athletic Complex
- Records: St. Joseph's (4-2), RIT (3-1), Eastern (3-3)
Game 1: Rochester Institute 3, St. Joseph's 0
- SJC Starters: Csikortos (RF), Rancel (LF), Wainwright (DP), Ferrigno (3B), Gentile (1B), Marino (CF), Quintana (2B), Simon (SS), Baglino (C), Armano (P)
- It was a pitchers' duel for most of the game with Theresa Armano and Torie Adler surrendering just one hit through the first three innings. Both squads did have opportunities playing small ball to move a runner to third—SJC in the first and RIT in the third—but left them standing there.
- Amber Wainwright drew a leadoff walk in the fourth and Kristin Ferrigno followed with a single to set up the Bears best scoring opportunity, gaining runners on second and third after a passed ball, but a pair of strikeouts ended the threat.
- The Tigers would respond with a solo run in the bottom half of the inning and added two more in the fifth and was all the runs they would need as Adler held the Bears to just four hits in the contest.
- Paige Csikortos (1-2, BB), Amber Wainwright (1-2, BB), Kristin Ferrigno (1-3) and Destiny Marino (1-3) collected the hits for St. Joseph's.
- Armano (1-1) took her first loss in the circle going the distance and allowing three runs (two earned) on eight hits.
Game 2: St. Joseph's 3, Eastern 2
- SJC Starters: Csikortos (RF), Rancel (LF), Wainwright (DP), Ferrigno (3B), Gentile (1B), Kampuries (C), Marino (CF), Quintana (2B), Simon (SS), Mahoney (P)
- Csikortos led off the bottom of the first with a blast over the centerfield wall, her first collegiate home run, that staked SJC a 1-0 lead until the fifth inning.
- Eastern threatened in the third and fourth innings, but the Bears defense cut down a runner at the plate in each frame.
- The Eagles finally broke through on Bears starter Victoria Mahoney knocking three hits in the top of the fifth, with Jess Snader delivering a two-out, two-run single to right that put Eastern up 2-1.
- But the Bears responded in their ensuing at bat. Stephanie Rancel rapped a one-out single and Kristin Ferrigno delivered the speedster home two batters later with a two-out double to left that leveled the game at 2-2.
- The Bears manufactured the go-ahead run in the sixth after Destiny Marino roped an infield single, advanced to second on a grounder and over to third on a passed ball. The Eagles got the strikeout that would have ended the inning, but it skipped past the catcher and Marino scampered home for the winning run.
- Mahoney calmly worked out of the final two innings leaving a runner standing at first and improved to 3-0 in the circle finishing with two strikeouts, and scattering six hits and one walk.
- Csikortos (2-4, HR, R, RBI) and Ferrigno (2-2, RBI, 2B, BB) both had multi-hit games.
The Bear Facts
- Kristin Ferrigno, Paige Csikortos and Amber Wainwright hit successfully in all six games of the season-opening trip.
- At 4-2, the Bears are off to their best start since 2010, when the Bears sat at 5-1 though six games.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return to Brooklyn to play their first game in their new home, American Legion Fields, hosting Baruch College on Sunday, March 12th in a doubleheader starting at 12 p.m.