VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team continued their opening week of play with two games at the Virginia Beach Blast against SUNY Potsdam and Hunter on Friday afternoon. SJC opened the scoring in the first inning of game one, but a five-run fourth inning led Potsdam to a 6-1 victory. Then, in game two, the Bears couldn't contain Hunter's offense falling 10-1 in five innings.
- Final Score (Game 1): SUNY Potsdam 6, St. Joseph's 1
- Final Score (Game 2): Hunter 10, St. Joseph's 1 (Five innings)
- Records: SUNY Potsdam (1-0), Hunter (1-0), St. Joseph's (1-3)
- Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
How It Happened vs. SUNY Potsdam
SJC Starters: Csikortos (SS), Rancel (CF), Vento (LF), Wainwright (3B), Quintana (2B), Gentile (1B), Whalen (C), Baglino (DP), Finnerty (RF); Armano (P)
- The Bears opened the scoring in the bottom of the first as leadoff hitter Paige Csikortos (Rocky Point, N.Y./Rocky Point) singled and scored, after a walk and a sacrifice, on an Amber Wainwright (Taunton, Mass./Taunton) RBI double. SJC would hold on to their 1-0 after two full while they left two runners on base in the bottom of the second.
- Potsdam tied things up in the third as Lucy Condon reached by error, was sacrificed to second, and driven in on a Megan Fish single to left field. The Bears from up north then piled things on an inning later scoring five runs with two outs on three singles, a walk, and an SJC error producing what would be the final runs of the game.
- St. Joseph's advanced a runner to second base in the fourth and seventh innings while holding their opponents scoreless, but failed to capitalize as their record fell back below .500 at 0-2 and Potsdam picked up their first win in their season opener.
How It Happened vs. Hunter
SJC Starters: Csikortos (SS), Vento (LF), Quintana (2B), Wainwright (3B), Gentile (1B), Whalen (DP), Baglino (C), Finnerty (RF), Rancel (CF); Erhardt (P)
- SJC went down one-two-three in the opening frame and Hunter didn't waste their opportunity, as a Colleen McCoy double, followed by a sacrifice bunt and RBI groundout, led to a 1-0 lead. Annalise McClellan doubled three batters later to drive in the Hawks' second run of the game and they led 2-0 after one.
- Wainwright got the Bears going immediately in the second with a leadoff single and was later driven in by sophomore catcher Brianna Baglino (Howard Beach, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) for her first RBI of the season.
- Hunter held SJC scoreless for the remainder of the game while tacking on a run in the third then exploding for seven tallies in the bottom of the fourth as they had the bases loaded for four-straight batters to seal the game and win via eight-run rule after four-and-a-half innings.
For the Bears
- Baglino was the hottest bat in the lineup all day going 3-for-5 on the day (RBI). Senior Maria Gentile (Brooklyn, N.Y./Fontbonne Hall) was right behind her posting a 2-for-5 mark between the two contests.
- Csikortos scored on her only hit of the day and Wainwright finished 2-for-5 with a run, RBI, and double in total.
- Senior Theresa Armano (Middle Village, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) pitched a complete game vs. Potsdam allowing just two earned runs (six total) and three walks while striking out five.
Next Up for the Bears
- Day two of the Beach Blast taking on two brand new opponents in Keuka (noon) and Allegheny (2 p.m.) on Saturday (Mar. 10).