BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Sophomore Brianna Baglino (Howard Beach, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) knocked three of the Bears' eight hits as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) softball team dropped 9-0 and 8-0 decisions to preseason favorite Mount Saint Mary College on Saturday afternoon at Gil Hodges Field..
- Final Scores: Mount Saint Mary 9, St. Joseph's 0 (5 inn); Mount Saint Mary 7, St. Joseph's 0
- Records: Mount Saint Mary (7-8, 6-0), St. Joseph's (6-12, 1-5)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — Gil Hodges Field
Game 1: Mount Saint Mary 9, St. Joseph's 0 (5 inn)
- The Knights plated an unearned run in the first, making the most of a Bear miscue on the opening play to hold a 1-0 lead through three, but stranded seven runners.
- MSMC finally broke through with an eight-run fourth inning, rapping nine hits in the inning and knocking Bear starter Victoria Mahoney (3.1 IP, 6 ER, 13 H, 0 K) out of the circle.
- Brianna Baglino went 2-for-2 out of the cleanup spot, but three-time reigning Skyline Pitcher of the Year Cindy Connoly held the remainder of the Bear lineup hitless in the complete-game two-hitter.
Game 2: Mount Saint Mary 7, St. Joseph's 0
- The visitors jumped ahead early with a pair of runs in the second, with Amanda Almodovar and Courtney Barbara knocking back-to-back two-out hits to open the scoring. MSMC then received another pair of two-out base knocks in the fourth to pad their lead to 5-0.
- After going hitless the first time through the lineup, Amber Wainwright (Taunton, Mass./Taunton) and Baglino led off the bottom of the fourth with back-to-back hits and were sacrificed over by Theresa Armano (Middle Village, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) but the Bears couldn't bring anyone across.
- Trailing 7-0 in their final at bat, SJC threatened to post their first run of the day with Stephanie Rancel (Middle Village, N.Y./Christ the King) and Sarah Kampuries (Ozone Park, N.Y./John Adams) singles sandwiched around a Jessica Vento (Massapequa, N.Y./Massapequa) walk loaded the bases with two outs, but SJC couldn't spoil the shutout.
For the Bears
- Brianna Baglino finished 3-for-5 on the afternoon, the only Bear to hit successfully in both games.
- Amber Wainwright saw her reached base safely streak halted at 13 games in the opener, but she went 2-for-4 in game two.
Next Up for the Bears
- The Bears head to SUNY Old Westbury tomorrow (Apr. 8) for a Skyline doubleheader starting at noon. Live stats will be available on SJCBears.com.