THROGGS NECK, N.Y. — In their Skyline Conference opener on Tuesday evening, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's swimming team notched a 100-79 victory over Purchase State College and split the conference double-dual falling to host Maritime College. The men were swept by both the Panthers and Mariners
- Women's Results: St. Joseph's def. Purchase, 100-79; Maritime def. St. Joseph's, 125-64; Maritime def. Purchase, 134-58.
- Men's Results: Maritime def. St. Joseph's 118-12; Purchase def. St. Joseph's, 75-18; Maritime def. Purchase, 119-37.
- Women's Records: St. Joseph's (1-3, 1-1), Maritime (4-1, 2-0), Purchase (1-4, 0-4)
- Men's Records: St. Joseph's (0-3, 0-2), Maritime (3-1, 2-0), Purchase (0-4, 0-3)
- Location: Throggs Neck, N.Y.
- Pool: Riesenberg Aquatic Center
- Sophomore Jessica Gnad (Brooklyn, N.Y. /Leon M. Goldstein) collected the lone event win on the evening beating her personal best in the 100-yard breaststroke by six seconds (1:22.62). She was followed closely by Rebecca Bollmann (Broad Channel, N.Y./Monsignor McClancy) in second (1:24.66) for a 1-2 finish that helped seal the victory. Gnad also helped both relay squads to a pair of second-place finishes.
- Sophomore Kathryn Cosenza (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) swam two personal bests in the 100-yard freestyle (1:05.84) and 50-yard freestyle (29.33) to capture second and third place, respectively. She also helped out the 200-yard freestyle with a quartet-best 29.13 50-yard split.
- Sophomore Juan Sandoval (Ridgewood, N.Y./Christ the King) posted a personal-best 27.99 in the 50-yard freestyle to earn second-place points for the men.
- Junior Shannon Doherty (Brooklyn, N.Y./Churchill) collected a pair of second-place finishes in the 100-yard butterfly (1:11.13) and the 500-yard freestyle (6:39.32, personal best).
- Freshman Kathleen O'Dea (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) registered second place in the 100-yard backstroke (1:24.90) and led off the opening 200-yard medley relay.
The Bear Facts
- The victory is the first over Purchase College in four meetings all-time.
Next Up for the Bears
- The women jump back into the pool on Friday (Nov. 10) heading to Hunter College for a non-conference dual meet starting at 6 p.m., while the men don't return to action until next Saturday (Nov. 18) for a Skyline double-dual in Bronxville against Sarah Lawrence College and SUNY College at Old Westbury.