BROOKLYN, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's swimming team racked up 10 event victories in a convincing 126-86 win over Brooklyn College on Wednesday night, while the men fell 65-20. With their second straight win against their borough rivals, the women finish at a 6-8-1 mark, matching the program record for wins in a season. Both squads will conclude their seasons at the Skyline Championships this Friday and Saturday.
- Final (women): St. Joseph's 126, Brooklyn 86
- Records (women): St. Joseph's (6-8-1), Brooklyn (3-7)
- Final (men): Brooklyn 65, St. Joseph's 20
- Records (men): Brooklyn (4-4), St. Joseph's (0-11)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Pool: West Quad Pool
- The Bears took eight of nine individual swimming events and both relay events.
- Sophomore Jessica Gnad (Brooklyn, N.Y./Leon M. Goldstein) won both her individual events, lowering her personal best in the 1000-yard freestyle to 13:50.73 and taking the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:22.05.
- Junior Shannon Doherty (Brooklyn, N.Y./Churchill) touched the wall first in the 200-yard individual medley (2:44.11) and the 100-yard butterfly (1:13.99).
- Sophomore Kathryn Cosenza (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) also collected two event wins logging a personal-best 2:29.33 in the 200-yard freestyle and just missing on a personal best in the 100-yard freestyle 1:05.87.
- Sophomore Rebecca Bollmann (Broad Channel, N.Y./Monsignor McClancy) posted her first sub-30-second time in the 50-yard freestyle winning the event in 29.61. She also took second in the 100-yard breaststroke behind Gnad in 1:24.21.
- Sophomore Valerie Rodriguez (Brooklyn, N.Y./New Utrecht) collected the final individual event win for the Bears, lowering her personal best in the 100-yard backstroke to 1:14.51. She also swam a personal best in the 200-yard individual medley (2:46.29) to take second behind Doherty.
The Bear Facts
- This is the third six-win campaign for the Bears reaching the mark in 2012-13 and 2010-11, finishing both seasons with a 6-5 record.
Next Up for the Bears
- St. Joseph's concludes the season at the Skyline Conference Championships with day one action beginning on Friday (Jan. 26) at 6 p.m.