STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Despite four in double figures led by freshman Gina Hopkins' game-high 16 points, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team was undone by a large first-half run, dropping a 77-60 decision to the College of Staten Island on Tuesday evening.
- Final Score: Staten Island 77, St. Joseph's 60
- Records: Staten Island (2-1), St. Joseph's (1-3)
- Location: Staten Island, N.Y.
- Arena: Bradley Center
- SJC Starters: Hopkins (G), Simon (G), Ferrigno (F), Candelaria (F), Staab (C)
- The Dolphins scored 27 unanswered over a span of six-and-a-half minutes between quarters one and two to build an insurmountable deficit.
How it Happened
- A 6-0 run for the Bears powered by a Caitlyn Staab layup, Catherine Drago jumper and Lauren Quesada layup St. Joseph's up 12-10 at the 3:25 mark before CSI scored the final nine points of the period to lead 19-12 at the first break.
- The hosts opened the second stanza scoring the first 18 points and never turned back.
- CSI led by as many as 39 in the third period, 67-28, at the 4:12 mark, before the Bears shot 60 percent in the final stanza to outscore the Dolphins 24-5 and shrank the final deficit. Gina Hopkins scored 12 of her 16 points in the fourth quarter draining 4-of-6 from behind the arc.
For the Bears
- Making her first collegiate start, Gina Hopkins scored a game-high 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting including four three-pointers.
- Freshman Lauren Quesada registered her first collegiate double-double with 12 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Freshman Catherine Drago also scored 12 points in a reserve role and grabbed six boards.
- Sophomore Caitlyn Staab rounded out four Bears in double figures with 10 points.
Inside the Box Score
- The Bears two leading scorers Destiny Marino and Victoria Porcasi did not play in the contest.
- St. Joseph's held a slight edge in the rebounding battle, 42-41.
- The Bears were plagued by 31 miscues that the Dolphins converted into a 36-19 edge in points off turnovers.
- Staten Island combined for nine three-pointers connecting at a 36 percent rate. St. Joseph's was just 1-of-14 from behind the arc over the first three quarters before draining 4-of-9 in the final stanza.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears will open Skyline Conference play after the Thanksgiving break at sibling rivals SJC Long Island on Thursday, December 1 starting at 8 p.m. Live stats will be available on SJCBears.com.