BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Junior Destiny Marino (Howard Beach, N.Y./Christ the King) netted a team-high 18 points, but the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team couldn't keep pace with a Sage Colleges squad that shot 47 percent and handed the Bears a 78-50 defeat at home on Saturday afternoon.
- Final Score: Sage 78, St. Joseph's 50
- Records: Sage (10-5, 6-2), St. Joseph's (4-9, 2-5 Skyline)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arena: The Hill Center
- SJC Starters: Marino (G), Simon (G), Porcasi (G), Candelaria (F), Quesada (F)
- Sage opened the contest connecting on nearly 60 percent of their shots and Emily Parslow's triple just before the end of the first quarter solidified a double-digit Bears deficit.
How it Happened
- Making her second career start, Lauren Quesada opened the scoring with a drive and a layup, but the Gators responded with the first of five triples in the period. The visitors connected on 59 percent and led by 14, 25-11, at the first break.
- A swarming Gator defense throughout the contest limited any clean looks for the Bears and they increased their lead until the final buzzer.
- Led by Victoria Porcasi's nine points in the third quarter followed by seven from Marino, the Bears found some momentum in the second half, but their 44 percent shooting (7-16) couldn't keep pace with Sage's 59 percent shooting (10-17) with another five treys.
For the Bears
- Destiny Marino paced the Bears with 18 points, four rebounds and two steals.
- Sophomore Victoria Porcasi added 11 points, four rebounds and two steals.
- Sophomore Kellie O'Neill came off the bench to score eight points, with a pair of rebounds and an assist.
Inside the Box Score
- The visitors did most of their damage from distance connecting on 46 percent (13-28) from behind-the-arc. The Gators also handed out 25 assists one 31 made field goals.
- Frankie Pearson led Sage with a near double-double posting game highs of 25 points and nine assists, along with seven three-pointers. Emily Parslow had 15 points and Genevieve Schoff added a 14-point, 12-rebound double-double.
The Bear Facts
- Marino extends her streak scoring in double figures to 12 games with her 59th career game.
- Picked as the preseason favorites by the league coaches, the Gators have won all five meetings in the all-time series.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears will head north to Newburgh, N.Y. to face first place Mount Saint Mary College on Tuesday, January 17. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m. with live stats and video on SJCBears.com.