MAHWAH, N.J. — In the second round of the Roadrunner Tip-Off Tournament hosted by Ramapo College, the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team picked up their first victory of 2017-18 94-52 over York College (N.Y.) on Saturday. Rookie Kelly O'Donnell (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) logged her first career double-double and junior captain Victoria Porcasi (Franklin Square, N.Y./H. Frank Carey) scored a game-high 22 points to lead the squad.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 94, York 52
- Records: St. Joseph's (1-2), York (0-3)
- Location: Mahwah, N.J. — Bradley Center
- SJC Starters: O'Neill (G), Porcasi (G), O'Donnell (G), Wilber (F), Staab (C)
- The game was well contested until the Bears scored nine unanswered points in the final 1:45 of the first quarter to gain control.
How It Happened
- Porcasi scored seven points in less than a minute to conclude the first putting the Bears up 17-6 after the opening ten minutes.
- 14 bench points for SJC in the second quarter, led by Catherine Drago's (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) six and two blocks, gave them a 36-17 halftime lead.
- The third saw Porcasi total nine of her 22 on 50% shooting and the bench paced the team once again in the fourth, as the Bears bounced back for a convincing 42-point triumph.
For the Bears
- The captain grabbed six rebounds to compliment her third-straight 20+ point performance (7-18 FG).
- O'Donnell shot a very-efficient 7-12 from the floor en route to her career-high 17 points (12 reb).
- Drago led the second unit with 14 (7-11 FG), as well as freshman Deserae Sequeira's (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) nine points (four assists, four steals) and Gina Hopkins' (Astoria, N.Y./Monsignor McClancy) eight.
Inside the Box Score
- Starting point-guard Kellie O'Neill (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) contributed in many areas, leading the team in dimes (eight), on top of eight rebounds and a career-high five steals.
- A major difference in the victory was the Bears' season-high 74.3% mark from the foul line.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's improves to 9-2 all-time versus York now having won the last five matchups.
- This is the Bears largest margin of victory since a 2014-15 49-point rout of Pratt (Nov. 19).
Next Up for the Bears
- The first Hill Center double-header of 2017-18 with a non-conference battle against John Jay College on Tuesday (Nov. 21). Tip is set for 5 p.m. with live stats and video available at SJCBears.com.