BROOKLYN, N.Y. — All five starters contributed at least 13 points as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn), never trailed for their second-straight home game in a convincing 94-57 Skyline Conference triumph over Sarah Lawrence College (0-14, 0-10) on Thursday evening at The Hill Center.
Junior Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) had a solid all-around effort with 13 points, 12 rebounds, seven assists, three steals, and a block while senior Caitlyn Staab (Lynbrook, N.Y./Kellenberg Memorial) led the Bears (10-5, 7-2) in scoring for the second straight game with 18 points.
How It Happened
After both teams matched pairs in the first minute and a half of play, the Bears unleashed a 22-2 run over the next six minutes to build a commanding 26-6 lead and never looked back. St. Joseph's overwhelmed the visitors with 50 percent shooting (13-26) in the first quarter with Victoria Porcasi (Franklin Square, N.Y./H. Frank Carey) logging 11 points in the period on the strength of three trifectas.
The Bears hot hands cooled off in the second as the Gryphons cut into the lead slightly but still faced a 46-27 deficit headed into the lockers.
But after the intermission, St. Joseph's found the rhythm again and shot 61 percent (11-18)—seven different Bears scoring a field goal—in a dominant third period that saw the Bears outscore the visitors 33-6.
The navy and white shot 45.9 percent (34-74) for the contest—their third most efficient outing of the season—with 10 threes. St. Joseph's also forced a season-high 28 Gryphon miscues that resulted in a 27-10 edge in points off turnovers.
For the Bears
- Caitlyn Staab shot an efficient 7-of-9 from the field and 4-of-4 from the stripe to finish with a team-high 18 with five caroms in 26 minutes of action.
- Lauren Quesada recorded her eighth double-double of the season and flirted with a triple-double with her career-best seven dimes.
- Victoria Porcasi shot 6-of-11 and drained five three-pointers to accumulate 17 points also handing out six assists.
- Jamie Provino (Harrison, N.Y./Harrison) fell one shy of her career highs in points and rebounds finishing with 17 and five.
- Kelly O'Donnell (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) rounded out the starting five in double figures with 15 points, six boards, three assists, three steals, and three blocks.
Next Up for the Bears
Both teams on the opposite ends of two-game streaks, St. Joseph's travels to Old Westbury (11-3, 5-3) for a Skyline Conference clash on Saturday (Jan. 10). Tip-off is set for noon with live stats and video available on SJCBears.com.