YONKERS, N.Y. — After playing to a scoreless draw in the opening half, Sarah Lawrence College scored four second half goals in handing the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team a 4-0 loss in Skyline Conference action on Saturday afternoon at Tibbetts Brook Park.
How It Happened
- Sarah Lawrence maintained a 12-4 shot advantage in the first half with Samantha Rossi making five saves in the frame to keep the game scoreless.
- Keeping the pressure on in the second half, the Gryphons finally put one past Rossi eight minutes in as Sophia Spralja scored the eventual game winner 18 yards out.
- Sarah Lawrence tacked on three quick goals in a span of 1:23 in the 76th and 77th minutes to seal the victory – their first in Skyline Conference play.
For the Lady Bears (0-2, 0-2 Skyline)
- Playing her first game in goal, Rossi would finish with 10 saves as she faced 26 shots in total.
- Pamela Chernyakhovsky, Christine Emigholz and Cansu Usta each finished with two shots a piece and Shannon Fahy also added a shot as the Lady Bears had seven shots for the contest, two on goal.
For the Gryphons (3-1, 1-1 Skyline)
- Sophia Spralja and Paige Smith each had a goal and an assist.
- Luana DeBorst assisted on two goals
- Sadie Rose Zavgren and Nora Burrows both tallied a goal.
The Lady Bear Facts
- Sarah Lawrence moves ahead 2-1 in the all-time series.
- The former Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference rivals are meeting for the first time in Skyline Conference play.
Next Up for St. Joseph's
The Lady Bears will return home to seek their first win of the season on Monday, September 21 against Medgar Evers College. The women kick off the doubleheader at Aviator Field at 6 p.m. with the men also taking on the cross borough rival Cougars at 8 p.m.