THROGGS NECK, N.Y. — Freshman Anisah Molic (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan Wagner) netted her ninth collegiate goal in the fourth minute to lead the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team over Maritime College on Saturday night. The victory was the Bears first in Skyline play of 2017.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 1, Maritime 0
- Records: St. Joseph's (5-3, 1-1), Maritime (4-3-1, 1-1)
- Location: Throggs Neck, N.Y. — Reinhart Field
How It Happened
- The highlight of the game occurred in the fourth minute, as Molic — on the first attempted shot by either side — launched the ball from 25-yards out, which banged off the crossbar and over the reach of the keeper for a 1-0 Bears' lead.
- Both squads were quiet in the first half after the goal, as the shot totals were tied at four at intermission.
- Sophomore goalie Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis) came away with three of her five saves on the night in the second half to preserve SJC's lead. The two teams were just as even in shots in the latter 45, with Maritime totaling seven and the Bears tallying six, as Molic's early score turned out to be enough for victory.
For the Bears
- Molic fired only one other shot besides her goal, and she has now scored in four of St. Joseph's five wins.
- Quesada recorded her third solo shutout of 2017, as she saved all five shots that came on her goal.
- Freshman Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) led the Bears in shots, firing four.
The Bear Facts
- This is SJC's first ever win over Maritime, improving to 1-3 all-time versus the Privateers.
- Saturday's victory continues the trend, as the Bears have now shutout their opponent in all five triumphs this season.
Next Up for the Bears
- Their third of four straight road games, as they take on the number one team in the Skyline coaches poll — Farmingdale State — on Tuesday (Oct. 3). Kick-off is at 5 p.m. with live stats and video available at SJCBears.com.