BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Reigning Skyline Conference Player of the Week Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) matched a career high with five goals scored to lift the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's soccer team to a 10-1 victory over York College (N.Y.) on Wednesday evening at Aviator Field.
How It Happened
The Bears (3-2) controlled possession for much of the game and fired off seven shots before opening the scoring in the 18th minute when Sequeira set up Anisah Molic (Staten Island, N.Y./Susan E. Wagner) for an open shot. A Sequeira goal in the 29th minute pushed the Bears lead 2-0 before she rattled off three more goals in a span of just over five minutes to break open the game. Molic would add one more just before the intermission to cap off the six-goal frame that the Bears outshot the hosts 20-0.
York (0-5) opened the scoring in the second half when Diana Velasquez converted on a penalty kick in the 51st minute to spoil the shutout. In the 64th minute, freshman Christina DiBartolo (Middle Village, N.Y./Forest Hills) scored her first collegiate goal with a highlight-reel direct free-kick strike from beyond the box. With the Bears still dictating play, Julia Lavelle (Bayside, N.Y./Mary Louis Academy) tacked on two more goals to reach the double-digit mark for the second time this season.
For the Bears
- Sequeira scored five goals for the third time in her career and also scored five in last season's meeting against York. It is her sixth collegiate hat trick.
- Molic extends her goal-scoring streak to three games with her second multi-goal game of the season. She also assisted on two other goals.
- Lavelle also extends her goal-scoring streak to three games with her second straight multi-goal game.
- Reem Shaban (Brooklyn, N.Y./New Utrecht) made three saves to collect the win in goal.
- The Bears finished with a 31-4 edge in shots and 7-0 in corners.
Next Up for the Bears
The Bears will try to assemble a four-game streak for the first time since 2014 heading to the College of Staten Island for their penultimate non-conference test on Saturday (Sep. 15) kicking off at 10 a.m. Links to live stats and video available on SJCBears.com.