NEWBURGH, N.Y. — Shannon Doherty (Brooklyn, N.Y./Churchill) opened her senior campaign with two individual event victories as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's swimming team opened their 2018-19 season and the Coach Matt Rogers era with a third-place finish at the Skyline Sprints meet hosted by Mount Saint Mary College on Saturday.
The host Knights (249 points) won the overall meet, followed by SJC Long Island (136 points), the Bears (90 points), and Old Westbury (5 points).
- Doherty won the 50-yard freestyle (27.22) and the 50-yard butterfly (30.92, career best), and placed fifth in the 200-yard freestyle (2:27.61). Also helping the 400-yard medley relay squad to a third-place finish, the senior accounted for 29 of the Bears' 90 points.
- Junior Jessica Gnad (Brooklyn, N.Y./Leon M. Goldstein) placed in all three of her individual events, highlighted by a second-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:26.09).
- Junior Rebecca Bollmann (Broad Channel, N.Y./Monsignor McClancy) collected fourth-place points in the 50-yard freestyle (30.30) and helped both relay squads to third-place finishes.
- Junior Eireann Corbett (Woodhaven, N.Y./Monsignor McClancy) also placed in all three of her individual events highlighted by a personal-best 30.48 in the 50-yard freestyle, taking fifth.
- Junior Valerie Rodrigues (Woodhaven, N.Y./New Utrecht) collected points on two individual events, taking fourth place in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:27.46) and sixth in the 50-yard backstroke (35.83).
- Junior Kathryn Cosenza (Brooklyn, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) also accumulated points in all three of her individual events, highlighted by a fifth-place finish in the 50-yard breaststroke (41.25)
Next Up for the Bears
The Bears will jump back into the pool in three weeks, heading to sibling rivals SJC Long Island on Saturday, November 3 for a double-dual meet with the College of New Rochelle starting at 10 a.m.