BROOKLYN, N.Y.—Reigning Skyline Conference Co-Player of the Week Lauren GaNun (Breezy Point, N.Y./Fontbonne Hall) pounded 19 kills and Anna Carbone (Ozone Park, N.Y./Archbishop Molloy) dished out 24 assists with 21 digs to power the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team to a 3-1 victory over former Hudson Valley Intercolegiate Athletic Conference rivals The King's College (N.Y.) on Tuesday evening.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's (Brooklyn) 3, King's (N.Y.) 1
- Set Scores: 25-20, 17-25, 25-14, 29-27
- Records: St. Joseph's (4-6), King's (N.Y.) (2-5)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arena: The Hill Center – Frank P. Carbone Court
How it Happened
- A 10-3 run for the Lady Bears allowed them to run away with the opening set after holding on to a 14-13 lead.
- The Lady Lions produced their best hitting frame and captured set two to level the match, using a 10-1 spurt to build a 17-10 advantage.
- St. Joseph's dominated in the third set taking control from the outset despite having their worst hitting set (.118) but held the visitors to a -.069 percentage.
- The fourth set was back-and-forth with 11 ties and five lead changes. King's threatened to force a fifth set earning a pair of set points that SJC erased before GaNun closed out the match in four sets converting on the Lady Bears' fifth match point.
For the Lady Bears
- GaNun recorded her fifth double-double of the season with another efficient hitting night, hitting .341 (19 kills, 4 errors, 44 assists) with 16 digs.
- Carbone brought up a match-best 21 digs and dished out 24 assists for her sixth double-double of the season
- Samantha Cacace, Samantha Rossi and Crystal Morgan all chipped in four kills apiece.
- Cacace improved on her career-high dig total set two games ago posting 19 digs.
For the Lady Lions
- Isabelle Sandmeyer led all attackers with a match-best 25 kills and added 11 digs for a double-double.
- Alexandra Rollis also recorded a double-double with 13 kills and 19 digs
The Bear Facts
- GaNun needs just five kills to punch her ticket to the exclusive 1,000-kill club, only the second Lady Bear to achieve the feat.
- GaNun has reached double-digit kills in all but one game this season.
- St. Joseph's moves to 3-1 all-time over their former HVIAC rivals.
- The victory is the first in women's volleyball program history at The Hill Center.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Lady Bears will continue a three-match week at The Hill Center on Thursday, October 8, welcoming John Jay College for a non-conference tilt starting at 7 p.m.