BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Senior Lauren GaNun (Breezy Point, N.Y./Fontbonne Hall) became the second women's volleyball player in St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) history to join the 1000-kill club, putting down 14 kills in a losing effort as the Lady Bears dropped a 3-0 non-conference decision on Thursday evening.
- Final Score: John Jay 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores: 25-21, 25-23, 25-16
- Records: St. Joseph's (4-7), John Jay (4-9)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arena: The Hill Center – Frank P. Carbone Court
How it Happened
- John Jay raced out to an 8-1 lead in the opening set and led by as many as 10 on two occasions, before St. Joseph's would stage a late surge that closed the deficit to 24-21, but couldn't complete the comeback.
- Lauren GaNun tallied the milestone kill in the first set at the 22-17 mark and finished with five kills in the frame.
- GaNun managed seven kills and no errors in the second stanza, but SJC spotted John Jay a six-point advantage before coming back to take a 21-20 lead but couldn't close out the set from the Bloodhounds.
- St. Joseph's got out to a quick start in the third, but a 6-1 Bloodhound run would erase their early lead and John Jay would never trail again in the frame.
For the Lady Bears
- GaNun reached double-digit kills for the ninth straight game hitting .262 and paired it with 14 digs for her sixth double-double of the season.
- Anna Carbone dished out 20 assists and brought up a team-high 33 digs for her seventh double-double of the season.
- Nina DiCioccio aided the attack with eight kills at a .263 clip also adding 11 digs and two aces.
For the Bloodhounds
- Savanah Davis and Rachel Eng led the balanced Bloodhound attack with 11 kills each. Davis coupled it with 14 digs and Eng with 11 digs to each record a double-double.
- Katrina Zapanta directed the Bloodhound attack to a .201 hitting effort, handing out 30 assists also recording a double-double with 13 digs.
The Bear Facts
- GaNun reached the 1,000-kill mark in 74 matches played. She is the first to accomplish the feat under the current volleyball rules that started in 2008 with sets played to 25 points.
- Magdalena Wiecek is the only other Lady Bear to accomplish the feat, racking up a program-record 1,511 kills from 2004-07, when sets were played to 30 points.
- Carbone's 33 digs fell two shy of her personal best set against Culinary two seasons ago.
- St. Joseph's still maintains a 4-2 edge in the all-time series, but has now dropped the last two meetings.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Lady Bears will welcome another CUNYAC foe to The Hill Center on Saturday, October 10, hosting Medgar Evers College in a match starting at 11 a.m.