BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Lauren GaNun (Breezy Point, N.Y./Fontbonne Hall) pounded 26 kills, Anna Carbone (Ozone Park, N.Y./Mary Louis) dished out a career-high 43 assists and Shannon Fahy (Breezy Point, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) had a career-highs of eight kills and 22 digs as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team celebrated Senior Night with a hard-fought, five-set victory over Brooklyn College on Tuesday night.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, Brooklyn 2
- Set Scores: 25-18, 25-17, 20-25, 23-25, 17-15
- Records: St. Joseph's (6-10), Brooklyn (6-15)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Arena: The Hill Center – Frank P. Carbone Court
How It Happened
- The Lady Bears took the first two sets with relative ease trailing just once early in each frame. Lauren GaNun got off to a hot start slamming eight kills in the opening stanza and 12 over the first two sets against no errors. Samantha Rossi provided a spark in set two putting away six kills in the frame.
- But the borough rivals wouldn't go down silently and the final three sets would turn into a dogfight. Both teams jockeyed for control of set three, but a 6-0 run for Brooklyn broke the seventh tie of the frame put the visitors on the board.
- The Lady Bears built as large as a four-point lead in set four, 17-13, before Brooklyn turned around the set with a 7-0 run that put them on top for good and forced a deciding set.
- In the fifth-and-deciding set, St. Joseph's fell behind early, but rallied to take the lead 8-7 at the side change on a Nina DiCioccio kill, one of her three in the frame while leading the defense with eight digs in a frantic set that featured nine ties and five lead changes.
- Brooklyn would surge ahead, 13-12, with a 3-0 run, before a well-timed SJC timeout brought a service error and leveled the set. The Lady Bears would gain two match points that were erased by Christolia Butler kills, before a GaNun kill would earn a third match point and a Bulldog violation sealed the victory for the seniors.
For the Lady Bears
- Lauren GaNun fell one kill shy of her season high and had 14 digs for her seventh double-double of the season. She has now posted double-figure kills in 14 games this season.
- Anna Carbone set a career high dishing out 43 assists and brought up 26 digs for her 10th double-double of the season.
- Nina DiCioccio matched her career best with 14 digs and shattered her previous career high with a match-high 34 digs for her second double-double of the season.
- With a career-high eight kills, Shannon Fahy more than doubled her total entering the game (6) and her 22 digs nearly doubled her previous best (13 vs. Culinary).
- Samantha Rossi logged a career-high seven kills in only three sets and added 12 digs.
- Samantha Cacace rounded out six Lady Bears with double-digit digs with 12 and also chipped in six assists and three aces.
For the Bulldogs
- Christolia Butler paced the Bulldogs with 17 kills and six blocks.
- Sasha Roopchand added a 13-kill, 17-dig double-double and Brianna Montana recorded an 11-kill, 19-dig double-double.
The Bear Facts
- As a team, SJC matched a program single-game record with 60 kills and set a new record with 54 assists.
- The game featured 25 ties and 13 lead changes over the two-hour affair.
- SJC has now won the last three meetings over their borough foes and moves to 9-4 in the all-time series.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Lady Bears will look to make a strong final push as they close out the regular season with six Skyline Conference matches. This Saturday, October 24, the squad will face SJC Long Island and Purchase in a tri-match hosted by Purchase College starting at 1 p.m.