BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Freshman Elizabeth Quahliero (New Castle, Pa./Shenango) served up 11 aces as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team raced off with their first win of the season downing York College (N.Y.) in straight sets on Wednesday night in their home opener at The Hill Center.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, York (N.Y.)
- Set Scores: 25-5, 25-12, 25-16
- Records: St. Joseph's (1-1), York (2-5)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. – The Hill Center
How It Happened
- Quahliero served 21 straight points in the opening set and landed nine aces over the span as the Bears ran away with the opening set, only needing four kills.
- The Cardinals managed to reach double digits in both the final two sets, but couldn't overcome an early deficit as SJC jumped out to 9-1 and 10-3 leads in each frame.
- With the visitors trying to claw back into the game in set three, Nina DiCioccio's four kills and a pair of kills each from Valentina Urgo, Brianna Marrazzo and Quahliero highlighted a 12-kill set for the Bears to seal the match.
For the Bears
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio led the attack for the second straight match slamming seven kills at a .278 clip.
- Rookie Elizabeth Quahliero posted a match-high 13.0 points on 11 aces and two kills.
- Fellow freshman Alanna Palomino directed the offense to a .283 hitting night, handing out 18 assists, while also bringing up a match-best eight digs with six aces.
- Freshman Briana Marrazzo chipped in five kills to the offense and a solo block.
- Senior Samantha Cacace and freshman Valentina Urgo added four kills each.
The Bear Facts
- Quahliero's 11 aces are tied for fourth all-time in Bears team history, just three shy of the record of 14 and the first time a Bear has landed double-digit aces since 2008, when assistant coach Bala Huseinovic recorded 10 against Sarah Lawrence.
- The Bears improve to 9-3 in the all-time series with York.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears open up Skyline Conference play on Sunday, September 18th hosting Yeshiva University and Farmingdale State College. The tri-match begins at 11 a.m. with the Bears vs. the Maccabees. Live stats and video will be available at SJCBears.com and on SJCBears Front App.