BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Powered by a career-high nine kills from freshman Elizabeth Quahliero (New Castle, Pa./Shenango), the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team cruised to a straight-set victory over Yeshiva University in their Skyline opener at home. The Bears succumbed to Farmingdale State in straight sets in the closer to level their overall and league record.
- Final Score (Match 1): St. Joseph's 3, Yeshiva 0
- Set Scores (Match 1): 25-16, 25-10, 25-14
- Final Score (Match 2): Farmingdale State 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores (Match 2): 25-8 , 25-10, 25-19
- Records: Farmingdale State (3-3, 2-0 Skyline), St. Joseph's (2-2, 1-1 Skyline), Yeshiva (0-9, 0-3 Skyline)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. – The Hill Center
How It Happened vs. Yeshiva
- The Maccabees hung tough early in the match, taking a brief one-point lead and drawing even at 13-all before the Bears ran off six straight and never trailed again for the remainder of the match. Briana Marrazzo led SJC to a 25-16 opening set victory with an efficient .571 set (4-0-7) and Valentina Urgo followed hitting .500 (3-0-6).
- St. Joseph's pulled away in the second stanza with a 7-0 run that helped seal a 25-10 set victory. The Bears had their most efficient set in the second hitting .304, committing just two attack errors, directed by Alanna Palomino's eight assists.
- SJC closed out their first league win of the season with 10 kills in the third frame, spread out among five different Bears. Nina DiCioccio hit an errorless .500 in the set. Yeshiva threatened midway tying the set at 12-all but the Bears responded with 10 straight points on DiCioccio's serve to seal the win.
For the Bears vs. Yeshiva
- Freshman Elizabeth Quahliero pounded a career-high nine kills at a .300 rate and stuffed a solo block.
- Valentina Urgo and Nina DiCioccio slammed six kills each. DiCioccio landed four aces and brought up eight digs, both team highs.
- Briana Marrazzo added four kills and added six digs.
- Alanna Palomino handed out a career-best 22 assists and had five digs.
How It Happened vs. Farmingdale State
- The Rams smothered the Bears in the opening two frames pounding 30 kills at a .480 clip while the Bears only managed eight kills and never led.
- SJC found some offense in the third frame and threatened, building their first lead of the match at 10-7 off the service of Valentina Urgo. The Rams retook the lead and the Bears looked to make another surge trailing 19-18 before the visitors took six of the last seven points to close out the match.
For the Bears vs. Farmingdale State
- Valentina Urgo, Elizabeth Quahliero and Samantha Cacace led the Bears attack with four kills. Urgo anchored the defense with seven digs and also served two aces, both team highs.
- Alanna Palomino dished out 12 assists in directing the offense.
The Bear Facts
- SJC remains a perfect 10-0 in the all-time series vs. Yeshiva and Farmingdale State levels the series at 4-4, winning the last four meetings.
Next up for St. Joseph's
Sitting at level .500, the Bears head to Staten Island on Tuesday, September 21 to face the College of Staten Island in a non-conference match starting at 7 p.m. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com