STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Nina DiCioccio (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) and Elizabeth Quahliero (New Castle, Pa./Shenango) combined for 14 kills as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team rallied from deficits in the opening two sets to take straight-set victory over the College of Staten Island on Wednesday evening.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, Staten Island 0
- Set Scores: 25-21, 25-21, 25-14
- Records: St. Joseph's (3-2), Staten Island (2-6)
- Location: Staten Island, N.Y. – CSI Sports and Rec Center
How It Happened
- The Dolphins raced out to an early 10-4 lead and still held a six-point advantage at 16-10 before the Bears clawed back into the set and drew even at 19-all taking taking advantage of seven Dolphin errors. Valentina Urgo then served up an ace to take the lead for good as SJC went on to win five of the last seven points to take the opening set, closed out by a pair of Alanna Palomino service aces.
- Like the opening set, CSI jumped out to an early lead and led by as many as seven, 11-4, and the Bears pulled even again at 17-all and the set was tied three more times before kills from Briana Marrazzo and Valentina Urgo helped the SJC win the final four points of the frame.
- Riding a pair of comeback wins in the first two sets, SJC took control of the third set from the outset, building a nine-point lead at 13-4 and the Dolphins never threatened. The Bears had their best hitting set of the match combining for 12 kills.
For the Bears
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio and freshman Elizabeth Quahliero led the Bears attack with seven kills each. DiCioccio anchored the defense with 13 digs.
- Freshman Briana Marrazzo finished with a career-best six kills and also had a solo block.
- Alanna Palomino dished out 21 assists, one shy of her season high, and fell one dig shy of her first career double-double with a season-best nine digs.
- Freshman Valentina Urgo and senior Samantha Cacace chipped in four and two digs, respectively, as five different Bears combined for 26 kills.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's snaps a four-game skid to Staten Island taking their first matchup since 2013 to improve to 10-4 in the all-time series.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears will resumed Skyline Conference play this Saturday, September 24 facing Mount Saint Mary College (3-12, 0-0 Skyline) and Sarah Lawrence College (5-3, 1-0 Skyline) in a tri-match starting at 11 am. Live stats can be found at SJCBears.com