NEWBURGH, N.Y. — Freshman Alanna Palomino (Fresh Meadows, N.Y./St. Agnes) registered the first double-doubles of her collegiate career as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team dropped a straight-set decision to host Mount Saint Mary and fell in four sets to Sarah Lawrence College in a Skyline Conference tri-match on Saturday afternoon.
- Final Score (Match 1): Mount Saint Mary 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores (Match 1): 25-18, 26-24, 25-22
- Final Score (Match 2): Sarah Larence 3, St. Joseph's 1
- Set Scores (Match 2): 25-14, 25-13, 24-26, 25-13
- Records: Mount Saint Mary (4-12, 1-0 Skyline), Staten Island (7-3, 2-0 Skyline), St. Joseph's (3-4, 1-3 Skyline)
- Location: Newburgh, N.Y. – Kaplan Center
How It Happened vs. Mount Saint Mary
- The Knights took the first nine points of the match and the Bears couldn't pull themselves back into the opening set.
- In the second stanza, SJC scored five unanswered to break a 14-14 tie. Still leading 22-17 the Knights ran off six straight to take back the lead before SJC won the next two and a Briana Marrazzo ace earned the Bears a set point, 24-23. But SJC was unable to convert and the hosts used back-to-back kills to close out the frame.
- In the final set, both squads remained tied at 18-all before the Knights scored five straight and SJC couldn't recover.
For the Bears vs. Mount Saint Mary
- Freshman Briana Marrazzo and sophomore Nina DiCioccio led the attack with five kills each. DiCioccio aided the defense with 11 digs and a solo block.
- Rookie Alanna Palomino recorded her first career double-double with 12 assists and 11 digs.
- Freshman Valentina Urgo anchored the defense with 13 digs and added four kills.
How It Happened vs. Sarah Lawrence
- The Gryphons cruised through the opening two sets and finished with double-digit kills in each frame.
- After being held to just 14 and 13 points in the first two sets, SJC battled in the third and erased a 10-1 deficit early in the set. With the set tied 19-all, SJC won five straight to earn five set points, but Sarah Lawrence turned back the Bears and pulled even again at 24-all, but SJC forced a fourth set winning the final two points.
- The Bears could keep up the momentum in the fourth and Sarah Lawrence an 8-2 run midway through the frame to build a sizeable lead and closed out the match.
For the Bears vs. Sarah Lawrence
- Alanna Palomino registered back-to-back double-doubles with a career-high-tying 22 assists and a career-best 15-digs.
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio led the attack with eight kills while Briana Marazzo added six kills and Valentina Urgo chipped in five.
- DiCioccio, Samantha Cacace and Samantha Rossi rounded out four Bears with double-digit digs each finishing with 12 digs. For Cacace and Rossi, it was their first time in double figures this season in the category.
The Bear Facts
- The match against Sarah Lawrence was the first non-three-set match this season.
- Sarah Lawrence snaps the SJC's seven-game win streak in the series. The Bears still hold a commanding lead in the series that started in 2004 up 13-3.
- Mount Saint Mary improves to 3-1 in the all-time series.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return to The Hill Center looking to return back to the .500 mark hosting borough rival Medgar Evers College on Tuesday, September 27. First serve is set for 7 p.m. with live stats and video on SJCBears.com.