BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Sophomore Nina DiCioccio (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) slammed a match-high seven kills and brought up a team-best eight digs to lead the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team to a straight-set victory over Medgar Evers College on Tuesday evening.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, Medgar Evers 0
- Set Scores: 25-17, 25-10, 25-14
- Records: St. Joseph's (6-6), Medgar Evers (0-21)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — Cougars Cave
How It Happened
- Nina DiCioccio served up three straight aces to power an early 5-0 run and the Bears never trailed again in the opening set maintaining at least a five-point separation.
- The second stanza saw St. Joseph's control the set again with their serve as the squad combined for 11 aces in the set led by Brianna's Marrazzo's four over another 5-0 spurt that built a 21-8 lead.
- The Bears closed out the match with 11 kills in the final frame connecting at a .226 clip. DiCioccio and Caitlyn Staab both finished with an error-free three kills in the set to lead the attack.
For the Bears
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio led all players with seven kills and a match-high-tying five aces. She also anchored the defense with eight digs.
- Freshman Valentina Urgo put down five kills against just one error for a .308 hitting night and added six digs to the defense.
- Freshman Briana Marrazzo, sophomore Caitlyn Staab and senior Samantha Cacace added four kills each to the attack, each committing just one attack error and finishing above .300 for the match. Marrazzo also landed a career-best four aces.
- Alanna Palomino registered her sixth game with 20-or-more assists, directing the SJC attack to a .222 hitting.
- All nine Bears to see action recorded a dig, combining for 38 as a team and holding the hosts to a -.065 hitting percentage.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's wins their ninth straight over their Brooklyn rivals and improves to 16-3 in the all-time series.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return the comforts of The Hill Center—where they are 4-1 this season—looking to move above .500 for the fourth time this season. St. Joseph's hosts former Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference foes The King's College on Thursday, October 13 starting at 7 p.m. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com.