RIVERDALE, N.Y. — Sophomore Nina DiCioccio (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) totaled 14 kills and 23 digs as three different Bears brought up double-digit digs in both ends of a Skyline Conference tri-match, but the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team dropped straight-set decisions to league Mount Saint Vincent and The Sage Colleges on Sunday afternoon.
- Final Score (Match 1): Mount Saint Vincent 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores: 25-17, 25-19, 25-18
- Final Score (Match 2): Sage 3, St. Joseph's 0
- Set Scores: 25-13, 25-15, 25-19
- Records: St. Joseph's (7-8, 1-4 Skyline), Mount Saint Vincent (11-13, 6-1 Skyline), Sage (12-14, 5-1 Skyline)
- Location: Riverdale, N.Y. — Peter J. Sharp Center
How It Happened vs. Mount Saint Vincent
- A tightly contested opening set saw eight ties and five lead changes, before the Dolphins used a 10-1 run at 12-all to break free from the Bears. St. Joseph's managed 10 kills in the frame led by Briana Marrazzo's four, but couldn't keep pace with the Tara Maloney who slammed 10 in the set at a blistering .417 as CMSV finished hitting .340 as a team with 19 kills.
- The second and third sets saw the hosts slip away early and the Bears remain within reach, but just couldn't cut into the defending Skyline champions lead.
How It Happened vs. Sage
- Sage, the preseason league favorites, jumped out to early leads in each set and controlled the match.
- St. Joseph's managed their best hitting frame in set two hitting .219 behind Nina DiCioccio's errorless five kills, but the Gators countered with a overwhelming .444 hitting and 19 kills to take the set.
For the Bears
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio and freshman Briana Marrazzo shared team-high honors in both ends of the tri-match with matching six kills vs. Mount Saint Vincent and eight kills vs. Sage. DiCioccio anchored the defense with 22 digs on the afternoon, bringing up 11 in each match. Marrazzo stuffed a pair of solo blocks against Sage.
- Freshman Valentina Urgo had a solid all-around effort with nine kills and 16 digs on the afternoon.
- Freshman Alanna Palomino handed out 41 assists across both matches and added 15 digs.
The Bear Facts
- Mount Saint Vincent cuts the Bears lead in the all-time series to 8-7 and has won the last three encounters. Sage takes both meetings in the series that started last season.
- Defending champion Mount Saint Vincent currently sits in a tie for first in the league standings, but suffered their first league loss of the season to Sage in the final game of the tri-match. Sage sits just half a game behind the Dolphins in third.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears return to the comforts of The Hill Center—where they boast a 5-1 mark this season—hosting City College of New York on Tuesday, October 18th in a non-conference match starting at 7 p.m. Live stats and video will be available on SJCBears.com.