BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Freshmen Elizabeth Quahliero (New Castle, Pa./Shenango) and Briana Marrazzo (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) both slammed career highs in kills as the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team improved to 6-1 at The Hill Center and leveled their record at .500 with a 3-1 victory over City College of New York on Tuesday evening.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, CCNY 1
- Set Scores: 25-23, 26-24, 22-25, 25-12
- Records: St. Joseph's (8-8), CCNY (7-12)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — The Hill Center
How It Happened
- In a wild opening set, SJC built leads of five and four points on two separate occasions only to see the Beavers claw their way back into the frame. With the Bears building a 20-16 lead, the visitors won the next seven points to take a 23-20 lead only to find SJC retaliate winning the final five points capped off by a Elizabeth Quahliero ace and a Brianna Marrazzo kill to close the set.
- The second set saw the Bears build another lead but the Beavers wouldn't go down without a fight. After SJC pulled ahead by seven, 13-6, CCNY drew even at 13-all and the set saw eight more lead ties and two lead changes before a Marrazzo kill followed by a Alanna Palomino ace gave the Bears a 2-0 lead.
- Set three saw the Bears trying to play catch-up. CCNY built their largest lead of the match at 18-12 and SJC chipped away at the lead and pulled within one at 22-21, but couldn't overtake CCNY and the Beavers forced a fourth set.
- But the Bears would dominate from the outset in the extra frame winning the first seven points behind the service of Palomino and the lead never dropped below six for the rest of the frame. Quahliero carried the offense in the dominating set slamming all five SJC kills in the frame against only one error at a blistering .714 hitting percentage.
For the Bears
- Freshman Elizabeth Quahliero bettered her previous career high by one finishing with 12 kills.
- Fellow rookie Briana Marrazzo had double-digit kills for the first time in her career slamming 11 at a .226 clip.
- Freshman Alanna Palomino registered her fourth double-double of her career with 30 assists and a career-high 27 digs—setting a new Bears single-game record for a four-set match in the category.
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio added five kills and 12 digs—her fourth game with double-digit digs.
- Senior Samantha Cacace chipped in four kills and matched her career high with 19 digs.
The Bear Facts
- St. Joseph's the all-time series at 2-2 in the first encounter since 2012. Since the series start in 2004, the teams have traded wins in each meeting.
- The Bears sit at.500 for the eighth time this season.
- It is only the second four-set match all season and the third match to go past three sets.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears have a day off before returning to the court on Thursday, October 18th facing borough rivals Brooklyn College in a non-conference road match starting at 6 p.m.