BROOKLYN, N.Y. — Behind double-double efforts from freshmen Valentina Urgo (Astoria, N.Y./St. John's Prep), Briana Marrazzo (East Elmhurst, N.Y./St. John's Prep) and Alanna Palomino (Fresh Meadows, N.Y./St. Agnes), the St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team rallied from a 2-1 deficit to defeat borough rivals Brooklyn College in five-set road battle on Thursday evening.
- Final Score: St. Joseph's 3, Brooklyn 2
- Set Scores: 25-14, 22-25, 17-25, 25-19, 15-8
- Records: St. Joseph's (9-8), Brooklyn (7-21)
- Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. — West Quad Gym
How It Happened
- St. Joseph's used a 10-1 run in the opening set powered by a pair of kills from Briana Marrazo and Valentina Urgo and cruised to a comfortable opening set win, 25-14.
- The Bulldogs won the first six points of the second set landing four aces and the Bears played catch up the rest of the way and trailed by as many as eight before threatening late cutting the deficit to two, but unable to overtake the hosts.
- The third set saw Brooklyn separate from St. Joseph's with an 11-5 run that broke a 7-all deadlock and carried it into a 25-17 win for a 2-1 lead in the match.
- St. Joseph's returned the favor in set four and with the frame tied again at 7-all, broke away with five unanswered to spur a 8-2 run that gave the Bears the lead for good. Brooklyn managed to pull back within one late in the set, 19-18, but the Bears won six of the last seven points—behind two more kills from Urgo and capped by a Marrazzo kill—to force a deciding set.
- After two early ties in the finale, four straight points for St. Joseph's powered by two Urgo kills, gave the Bears a 7-3 lead and they never led by less than three the rest of the way in the deciding set to complete the comeback.
For the Bears
- Freshman Valentina Urgo posted career highs of 10 kills and 17 digs for her first collegiate double-double and chipped in two aces to lead the Bears with 12.0 points
- Classmate Briana Marrazzo also logged her first collegiate double-double, finishing with double-digit kills for the second straight match slamming 10 while bringing up a career-best 25 digs.
- Freshman Alanna Palomino recorded her fifth double-double of the season handing out 32 assists and aided the defense with 14 digs and also served three aces.
- Freshman Elizabeth Quahliero finished one shy of double digits with nine kills.
- Sophomore Nina DiCioccio anchored the defense with a season-high 27 digs and added five kills to the attack.
The Bear Facts
- The team improves to 2-0 in five-set matches this season and has won four of their last five five-set matches dating back to last season.
- When the borough rivals met last season at The Hill Center exactly one year ago, the Bears also won in five sets.
- St. Joseph's improves to 10-4 in the all-time series and has won the last four meetings.
- The Bears are now 7-0 against CUNYAC opponents this season.
Next up for St. Joseph's
The Bears continue a five-match week with a Skyline Conference tri-match at SJC Long Island also facing Purchase College on Saturday, October 22 starting at 10 a.m. with live stats and video available on SJCBears.com.