NEW YORK, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's volleyball team got off to a slow start on the road against John Jay College before coming back to take the second set. But despite 12 kills from Nina DiCioccio (Brooklyn. N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) and nine from Tiffany Garcia-Lawson (Floral Park, N.Y./St. John's Prep) the Bears dropped a 3-1 decision on Tuesday night.
- Final Score: John Jay 3, St. Joseph's 1
- Set Scores: 25-6, 20-25, 25-18, 25-8
- Records: St. Joseph's (3-5), John Jay (6-6)
- Location: New York, N.Y.
How It Happened
- The Bloodhounds raced out to a 10-1 lead to open the match and never looked back in a commanding 25-6 set victory where they hit .320.
- The Bears woke up in the second set and used an 8-1 run to take a 9-3 lead and never trailed again. Five different Bears combined for 15 kills in the set against only one error for a blistering .467 hitting frame to level the match.
- St. Joseph's won the first three points in the third set but a hard-fought set saw five ties and three lead changes until the 14-14 mark before six straight points for the Bloodhounds brought the largest separation between the two squads and SJC couldn't get back into the set.
- The hosts came out firing in the fourth winning the first five points and the Bears could do little to stop a .696 hitting effort (17-1-23) and couldn't force a fifth set.
For the Bears
- Junior Nina DiCioccio paced the Bears attack with 12 kills and brought up six digs.
- Freshman Tiffany Garcia-Lawson slammed nine kills at a .217 clip and served up a pair of aces.
- Sophomore Briana Marrazzo led the defense with a match-best 16 digs and chipped in five kills.
- Sophomore Paige Csikortos dished out 22 assists and facilitated the offense to a .124 hitting night.
The Bear Facts
- John Jay levels the all-time series at 4-4, taking the last four meetings.
Next Up for the Bears
- St. Joseph's returns to action at home tomorrow (Oct. 4) playing their Breast Cancer Awareness game welcoming SUNY College at Old Westbury in a Skyline Conference showdown starting at 7 p.m. Live stats and video available at SJCBears.com.