BROOKLYN, N.Y. – St. Joseph's (6-11) tries to enter the season-ending HVIAC Tournament on a three-match winning streak with a win in their regular season finale at Webb Institute (3-5-1) on Tuesday, April 8th at 7 p.m.
St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) (6-11, 3-2 HVIAC) at Webb Institute (3-5-1, 2-2 HVIAC)
Tuesday, April 7th • 7 p.m.
Glen Cove, N.Y.
- The Bears look to match their school-record win total from a year ago with a victory over the Webbies.
- St. Joseph's looks for their school-record fourth road win of the season.
- With a win tonight the Bears would have their most wins (4) and highest winning percentage (.667) in league play in school history.
- With a victory St. Joseph's would have a three-match winning streak, their longest since capturing four in a row from April 4-8 of last year.
- Tonight's matchup is a preview of the semifinal matchup at the HVIAC Tournament set to get underway on Thursday, April 10th at 6 p.m.
- The Bears look to sweep the season series with Webb and improve to 6-7 all-time against the Webbies.
- With a triumph tonight St. Joseph's will finish with their highest regular season winning percentage in school history at .389, surpassing the previous high of .350 set last year.
- Four-time HVIAC Player of the Week Raul Urshela looks to continue his strong play, having recorded double-digit kills in five of the last six matches.
Webb holds a 7-5 lead in the all-time series, but St. Joseph's has won the last five meetings between the two schools.
The Bear Facts
Last Time Out: St. Joseph's picked up their second straight win and honored their seniors with a straight-set, 3-0 (27-25, 28-26, 25-13) victory over Sarah Lawrence College in HVIAC action at Brooklyn Technical High School on Thursday evening. Urshela and Clyde Delacruz each had ten kills, while seniors Iqbal Husain and Javier Bosque contributed 22 assists and 11 digs, respectively.
The Bears look to continue to hit on all cylinders as they head to the HVIAC Tournament at Yeshiva University later this week. Tonight's matchup with the Webbies is a preview of the tournament semifinals as the two teams will meet on Thursday with the winner facing either Yeshiva or Sarah Lawrence for the conference title.
Four-time HVIAC Player of the Week Raul Urshela is the leader of the St. Joseph's offensive attack, slamming down 188 kills (No. 3 in HVIAC) on the year, good for a 3.24 kills per set (No. 1 in HVIAC) average. The outside hitter has ten matches with ten or more kills, including five of the last six. The junior is also a threat at the net with a team-high 34 blocks on the year and contributes on the defensive end with 87 digs in 17 matches.
The orchestrator of the Bears offense is senior Iqbal Husain who leads the team with 5.36 assists per set (No. 2 in HVIAC) and has dished out 311 in total on the year. The setter adds 84 digs to his stat line and has served up 16 aces on the year.
Sophomore Taso Kostikas gives St. Joseph's another offensive force with 80 kills and leads the team with 3.07 digs (No. 1 in HVIAC) and 0.45 service aces per set (No. 1 in HVIAC). Junior Clyde Delacruz has also come into his own this season, putting down a career-high 65 kills on the year and leads the conference with 0.66 blocks per set.
Last Time Out: Webb dropped their second match in a row on Saturday against Cooper Union, falling 3-1.
The Webbies come into tonight's match with the same amount of wins this season than the last three years combined and look to snap a five-match losing streak against the Bears. Webb leads the conference with a .129 hitting percentage and 1.85 service aces as a team.
Pacing the Webbies is one-time HVIAC Player of the Week Cody Owen who averages 1.59 kills per set and leads the team with 2.56 assists per set (No. 3 in HVIAC) and 1.15 digs per set.
Sophomore Brian Mills leads the team with 2.19 kills per set (No. 5 in HVIAC), hits an efficient .274 (No. 1 in HVIAC) and leads the team with 0.56 blocks per set (No. 5 in HVIAC).
|6-11 (3-2)||Record||3-5-1 (2-2)|
|Roster | Schedule | Statistics||Team Info||Roster | Schedule | Statistics|
|Raul Urshela (188)||Top Kills||Brian Mills (59)|
|Taso Kostikas (178)||Top Digs||Cody Owen (31)|
|Iqbal Husain (311)||Top Assist||
Cody Owen (69)