The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team improved to 2-0 in Skyline Conference play (3-3 overall) as they got the better of the College of Mount Saint Vincent in a 79-76 win from The Hill Center on Tuesday evening. The Dolphins fall to 3-2 overall (1-1 Skyline).
How it Happened
Junior Kelly O'Donnell (Brooklyn, N.Y./St. Edmund Prep) scored five of the opening nine points for the Bears as they took an early 9-4 lead. Jamie Provino's (Harrison, N.Y./Harrison) two three-point baskets towards the end of the first quarter saw the Bears take a 19-12 lead into the second quarter.
The Bears led by as many as 14 halfway through the second period. However, the Dolphin duo of DarNeisha Brice and Dez Brown combined for 14 straight points, including a run of nine points from beyond the arch by Brice to tie the game at 32. A jumper by Lauren Duggan (Breezy Point, N.Y./St. Saviour) put an end to the CMSV scoring run before another three from Brice gave the visitors a one-point advantage. Strong offensive play by Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y./St. Francis Prep) and Duggan contributed to 19 of the 22 points for the Bears in the quarter as they ultimately took a 41-37 lead into the half.
The Bears once again led by double figures, taking their largest lead of the game (15 points) at the 4:36 mark of the third quarter, 57-42. Provino hit a pair of threes in the period, leading the team with eight points as the Dolphins once again narrowed their deficit to four by the end of the quarter, 62-58.
Following a made three by O'Donnell, which saw the Bears lead 72-67 with 4:47 left in the final frame, Brice pushed the Dolphins with five points to tie the game. Brown gave Mount Saint Vincent the two-point lead with less than a minute to go. Brown fouled out seconds later, allowing O'Donnell to tie the game from the free-throw line. With 0:17 remaining, Provino drained a corner three to give the Bears the lead for good. O'Donnell iced the game from the charity stripe, resulting in a narrow three-point win for St. Joseph's, 79-76.
For the Bears
- Following a 10-assist performance at Farmingdale State, Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) dished out 13 assists; the most in a single game in program history. She also pulled down five rebounds on the evening.
- O'Donnell, Quesada, Provino, and Duggan all ended the game scoring in double figures with O'Donnell netting a team-leading 20 points.
- Quesada picked up her third double-double of the season (18 points, 10 rebounds). All ten of her boards came on the defensive end.
- Provino's 17 points were one shy of tying her career-high (18).
- Duggan scored a season-high 11 points.
The Bears will travel to Patchogue to battle sibling rivals SJC Long Island at 1 p.m. on Saturday, November 30. Live stats and video can be found on SJCBears.com/live.