PATCHOGUE, N.Y. — The St. Joseph's College (Brooklyn) women's basketball team remains undefeated in Skyline Conference play (4-3, 3-0 Skyline), following their 76-65 win against sibling rivals SJC Long Island (1-5, 0-3 Skyline) on Saturday afternoon from Suffolk County.
Junior Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J./Arthur L. Johnson) dished out 14 assists, breaking her own record she set on Tuesday against Mount Saint Vincent. She also pulled down a career-high 16 rebounds, recording her second double-double of the season.
How it Happened
Following back and forth play in the opening three minutes of the game, the Bears scored 18 of the remaining 24 points in the quarter. Samantha Wilber (Island Heights, N.J./Central Regional) knocked down a pair of three-pointers throughout the scoring run while Jamie Provino (Harrison, N.Y./Harrison) and Alexis Breen (Union Beach, N.J./Keyport) each hit shots from beyond the arc. The Bears ended the quarter with a 25-13 advantage on the Golden Eagles.
The Bears led by as many as 19 in the second quarter, thanks to seven points from O'Donnell's. The period also saw contributions from Breen, Briana Gomez (West Hempstead, N.Y./Kellenburg) and Lauren Duggan (Breezy Point, N.Y./St. Saviour) as the trio combined for seven points, five boards, and three assists. The Golden Eagles managed to score nine points with 2:29 left in the half as the Bears took a 43-31 lead into the locker room.
The Golden Eagles outscored the Bears 12-5 to begin the second half, narrowing their deficit to 48-43 in the process. Treys from Breen, O'Donnell, and Provino led to the Bears closing out the third quarter on a 14-2 run, leading 62-50.
SJC Brooklyn continued to pull away from the hosts in the final phase of the game, behind six points from O'Donnell and three from Provino. Sequeira scored her lone bucket of the game, a layup with 7:46 left on the clock. She also collected two steals, six assists and pulled down seven rebounds in the period, leading to the Bears coming out on top, 76-65.
For the Bears
- O'Donnell led all scorers with 25 points. She also registered eight boards, five assists, and three takeaways.
- Provino scored 12 points, all from three-point land.
- Emma Kiley (Whitestone, N.Y./Archbishop Molloy) dropped 11 points and as many rebounds. She also blocked two shots.
- Breen's finished the game in double-digit scoring for the third time this season, scoring 11. She also registered four caroms and three assists
- Wilber's six points were the most she scored in a game this season.
- This is the 11th straight victory for the Bears over SJC Long Island.
The Bears welcome Yeshiva University to The Hill Center on Tuesday, December 5. Tipoff against the Maccabees is scheduled for 5 p.m. with live stats and video available on SJCBears.com/live.